Thread: cost of a #63 stanley

cost of a #63 stanley

So just a quick question. What should one expect to pay for a decent Stanley 63? The bay seems rather high. Thanks in advance.

Why do you want one???

Why can't a 60 1/2 due?
    The 63 is the same plae as a 60 but its an inch longer and the 60 dosent have an adjustable mouth..

I'm guessing you can buy a very nice LN plane for the cost of a No.63
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Blog Entries
    I think the #63 has a wider blade like a #65.

From looking at completed bids on ebay, the #65 has a range of about $35 including the shipping all the way up to $130 for one that looks like the bidders got a bit over excited about.

I gave up on trying to find a decent #60-1/2 on ebay and ended up buying the LN offering. I do not regret paying more for a known quality item.

I have bought some planes on ebay that have been dogs and the sellers often pretend or actually do not know.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sorry I meant a 63 spoke shave. Round bottom. Or is there another alternative. After going to the Neilson event in St. Louis I would love to have all of Neilsen's planes etc. Not to mention Breese and Konrad's infills. Oh yes and there were those moulding planes. But alas I be poe.
    So for now I am sticking with good ole Stanley's. Not the bedrocks either. Practicing, playing, learning to sharpen etc. I have wiped out a couple of 2x4s already. Pine trees beware.

There are other round bottom Stanley spokeshaves. I have a Stanley round bottom - I think it's the 151R but I'm going from memory - and I'll sell it to you cheap. I want to get the LN round bottom.

But let me warn you that round bottom spokeshaves are harder to use than the flat bottom. You have to adjust them very carefully and not take too much of a cut or they'll chatter a lot.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with sticking to vintage planes for the main bench planes. All of my bench planes are vintage with replacement irons and cap irons. I would even say not to be to concerned with the brand... I have stanley sargent and union and all are good planes, as long as they are pre ww2 you have a good chance of it being a decent user IMO.
    One of my favorite planes is a fulton #6.
    As for a round bottom spokeshave I have never come across one in the wild. I would like to have one. I think the best bet would be to save up and get one of the LN shaves and give it a try. It should hold it value with no issue if you decide to sell it.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Not sure what they are going for on the Bay, but I bought a #63 from Patrick leach for $25. Unlike buying things on the bay, I know I will get something that is a good user. Not advertising for him, I've just always been satisfied with the condition of the tools I get from him. Mike is correct, the round bottom spokeshaves take a little (alot) of practice to master, I've also got a 151r, almost tossed it before I finally figured out how to use it properly.

The 65 chamfer shave also has a round bottom and you can use it without the guides. Theyre around 80 bucks but they sure cut a nice chamfer, even on straight stock

Blog Entries
    My #63 spokeshave was about $25 on the bay.

If I had thought of it, I would have likely contacted Patrick Leach and given him a shot at selling me something.

It is a bit fidgety to set up. I am getting pretty good using a small tap hammer for blade adjustment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you're buying a 63, I recommend buying from a trusted dealer. I've picked up a 63 and a 64 in recent years, both vintage Stanley, and the quality difference is considerable. The iron on the 64 needs to be replaced.

I'm also not sure I'd recommend a 63 as your first round-bottom shave. They're kind of light, thin irons, other factors that suit them more for small work.