Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Unisaw or not to unisaw, that is the question...

To Unisaw or not to unisaw, that is the question...

Forget the fact that I would have to park it until my shop grew a bit, what would a reasonable price be for a post 2000 (exact year as yet undetermined) right tilting unisaw with the long rails (look like 72"+) and the beisemeyer fence, a three hp 220 motor, all of the above in good condition, with what looks like fairly moderate use?

Ran across it today and the guy's business is phasing out and he wants it gone. Any thoughts or info is much appreciated.

Well it's used, so I would find a new price for a comparable Unisaw and half it. Then start deducting from there based on what shape the saw is in, how far you have to travels to get it, and whatever other concerns are important to you.

Sold my Unisaw with 52" wide rip capacity, 3 HP after ten years of use for $1200. It was sold with numerous jigs, like tenoning, two cross cut sleds, extra blades, foot operated blast gate, under table caninet, mobile base, Biesemeyer fence, Biesmemeyer riving knife, Delta overarm blade shroud. It ran perfectly.

I replaced it with a SawStop Pro. I never looked back. The SS is without a doubt the best TS I have ever owned.

Good luck! Glenn

In this area, that saw would run something like a thousand bucks. There have been a lot of them made, so they show up on Craigslist fairly often. Given that you'll have to store it for a while, I'd pass on this one, and expect that another would appear when you're ready for it. Of course, if the seller really wants it gone right now, and will sell it for a lot less than market value, that'd make it worthwhile to store it.

thanks Glen, that sounds a lot like this saw, and he says he wants to get around $1200 for it. What I dont know is if he has any of the accompanying jigs, sled, etc. It does have the biese fence and the long rails. They might be 52" but I swear they looked a lot longer because he has it built into a large table for breaking down sheet goods and doing cabinet work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Houtz View Post
    ......he wants to get around $1200 for it.....
    That seems WAY too high. Especially for a saw from a pro shop. Just because a seller wants a certain amount doesn't make it worth that amount. As Jamie said, I'd pass on it, and when the time comes, buy your Unisaw from a private seller (not a possibly-worn-out one from a business).

I think to call it a pro shop saw would be a stretch, the main business was carpet, and the guy was messing around with a little bit of cabinetry on the side. Regardless, I thought it sounded a bit high myself. I know I have seen them on CL in fairly comparable condition for $7-900.

Does right tilt vs. left tilt add any appreciable value?

To me it depends on a few things inclusive of the other good replies you have already received. Assuming the saw is in good shape.

1) What extras? These add up.
    2) 72" bars are a 52" rip capacity.
    3) I'd go back with a few tools to check it out. Dial indicator to check the arbor run out. A high quaility straight edge to check the table flatness, etc.. I would bring a good "new" blade" for a test cut.
    4) If you can, run the saw and cut some lumber. A 8/4 piece of hardwood might be a good rip test.
    5) When the saw is running it should sound very solid.
    6) I would want to know how much use the saw has received for sure.
    7) No rust or corrosion?

Got a photo?

Cheers, Glenn

Hard to say with out pics, A good deal is $7-800.00 . $1200 is no deal, thats average.

I just bought a lightly used 3hp uni x5 with 52 in uni fence and a Delta slider for $900.00 CDN.

I prefer right tilt. Sure the blade tilts into the fence. Put a spoil board there if you need to. I don't like the blade tilting towards the miter guage. Most people make a sled that goes on the left of the blade. Left tilt would cut into the sled.

From what I've seen, left tilts fetch a higher price.

For most uses, left- and right- are fairly equal. When you tilt the blade, a right tilt leans toward the fence in it's normal position right of the blade. This can trap the workpiece between the fence and tilted blade, causing a kickback. You can cancel it out by moving the fence left of the blade on a right-tilt saw, but you can't cut as wide a board.

It depends upon whether you're interested in a fair or average price, or a deal.

$1,200 sounds reasonable to me for a good condition Unisaw.

I sold a General 650 with an Excalibur overarm guard for $2,000, which is in line with the $1,200 price for a good condition Unisaw.

Regards, Rod.

$1200--...I thought it sounded a bit high myself. I know I have seen them on CL in fairly comparable condition for $7-900.

YOUR price range, not the sellers, is just about right for a clean, later Unisaw. If he gets his price, somebody had a bad case of Unisaw Fever!

I very seldom see a left-tilt Uni for sale on CL. At least, they are not advertised as such. LT's are almost an oddity compared to the vast amount of RT Unisaws produced over the last 60+ years. Their rarity may cause the price to go up.

If you need left-tilt, look for a Powermatic 66! Then you will get fully your money's worth at around the $1000 mark.

~Chip~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I've monitored Unisaw pricing for quite some time until I found a Grizzly 1023SLX for $400 and had to buy it.

For Unisaws, the really low prices will be $600-800 at which you should act fast to see it.

The normal price is between $800 and $1200. These will only be a few years old, some come with mobile bases because they were used in a home garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post

If you need left-tilt, look for a Powermatic 66! Then you will get fully your money's worth at around the $1000 mark.

~Chip~
    El correcto. I've seen these come up occaisionally for reasonable prices. When I bought my sander, the same seller had a PM66, immaculate hobby machine, for 1k. This was in PA.