Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Johns Happy Face"

This is gorgeous. The void adds a lot character, and the smile analogy really works. The tip of the finial is a nice touch, the form is wonderful. I'm curious about the 10 minute finish.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

yep. You are totally correct. I can see a definite resemblance. Gorgeous, tall, handsome, and great physique. Yes sir that sure the way it looks.

PS. John Please send the piece of mesquite you promised for writing this post. LOL.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

That is really cool and I love that finial.

When I went to Texas last fall to pick up a Jeep and drive it home, I asked my brother Ken if he could spare some Mesquite. So, when I arrived in San Antonio, he had cut down a tree and hauled it over in his truck. Very cool.
    So, On my drive back to Ohio, I stopped in Memphis for the night and met my friend Keith for the first time, and gave him a couple of the logs.
    I sent this picture to my brother, and he is so proud of what transpired. He's seen some of the crap that I turn....and now he sees his firewood turned by a master.

Now..if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go brush my teeth.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Delicioso... "Classic" KB form. Can't be beat!
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks for the kind words y'all, I appreciate it.

A couple have asked about my 10 minute finish so here it is.
    1. Sand thru 400 to 600 grit. I power sand at high speed.
    2. Rub in Minwax Antique Oil (Red Can). It may feel a little tacky but thats okay. Let set for a couple of minutes. Do not follow instructions on can.
    3. Buff with tripoli followed by wax. I use the Beall System.

I am not a finishing expert and have no idea why this works or if it will work with other oils. Your results may vary. Works best on dense woods. Other woods may require a second or third application of the oil applied in the same rub in manner.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE