Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overdue Shop Tour. (20 pics!)

For Tom P. and the rest of the folks who have inquired about the electronics. I've yet to find a problem with keeping them in there. As I wrote privately to one of our members, the entertainment ctr and PC workstation are both at relatively low dust-generating areas. I also use the cyclone DC system quite religiously and, if I'm doing any real significant amount of sawing/milling operations, I kick the air filter on, as well. Otherwise, just blow the units out with some compressed air every now and again and all is good. And yes, I DO use the PC a LOT in there! Fact is, it's on my way in from the garage area and I flip it "on" every time I go in there. Hey, I need to stay on top of you guys, ya' know?! Thanks for all the flattering comments, as well!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Thanks Nic. I've actually experimented a bit with the microwave on bowls, though I still need a lot more practice, which in turn means, I really NEED to get back to the lathes one of these days! Oh, and I'm quite happy with the Laguna, thank you! Setup with the RK, a WW friend of mine was duly impressed with the thin Lacewood I cut off for him!
    The friend wasn't me... but I did get to see the thin lacewood that John Cut... man was it a sweet cut!

John:
    I can only hope/dream of having that much room for a shop before I pass on. The green eyed jelousy monster has reared it's head. Looks really good. As small as my home shop( Garage) is, that is my one space where I can relax, and get my thereapy away from the world.
    Charlie Woods

Do Or Do Not. There is No Try

Yoda

Damn John, where's the hotub? You got everthing else, WOW!!

Gene

John,

That’s really a very nice shop setup you have. Beats my shop/garage by a long shot. I'm sure that you enjoy it.
    Mike

"The only real valuable thing is intuition." - <CITE>Albert Einstein</CITE>

A Motto For Your Shop

John let me suggest this Latin motto to be displayed over your shop entrance- you do read latin, don't you? AB ILLO CUI MULTUM DATUR MULTUM REQUIRITUR I'll give you and the rest the translation in due course, but you have to sweat first.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Gee John What are the hours you'll be setting up Shop tours (conducted by Cheesehead hostesses). DIY channel wants to film. You better get an agent..It is a beautiful shop!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman
    John let me suggest this Latin motto to be displayed over your shop entrance- you do read latin, don't you? AB ILLO CUI MULTUM DATUR MULTUM REQUIRITUR I'll give you and the rest the translation in due course, but you have to sweat first.
    How about: "For whom much is given, much is required."?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

hi John, Just got a good look at the shop tour. Very nice set up. I didn't have a chance to read all the comments so I hope I'm not repeating anything.
    I only have a couple of commnets. (I guess there always have to be one wiseguy). You have a lot of solid ducting directly to the machines. Plus I saw a few with mobile bases. I would suggest using good flex hose for the drops. That Woodsucker is plenty powerful to handle any loss due to the flex resistance, but you could gain a bit by eliminating some of the solid bends.
    Other comment is lighting. Not sure what you have but I put in a bunch of daylight hi color rendition bulbs along with some incandescent task lighting. Also used electronic ballasts on the flourescents.
    It looks like we have the same heater hanging from the ceiling. Looks like an empire 220v 20amp.
    take care,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Renzetti
    hi John, Just got a good look at the shop tour. Very nice set up. I didn't have a chance to read all the comments so I hope I'm not repeating anything.
    I only have a couple of commnets. (I guess there always have to be one wiseguy). You have a lot of solid ducting directly to the machines. Plus I saw a few with mobile bases. I would suggest using good flex hose for the drops. That Woodsucker is plenty powerful to handle any loss due to the flex resistance, but you could gain a bit by eliminating some of the solid bends.
    Other comment is lighting. Not sure what you have but I put in a bunch of daylight hi color rendition bulbs along with some incandescent task lighting. Also used electronic ballasts on the flourescents.
    It looks like we have the same heater hanging from the ceiling. Looks like an empire 220v 20amp.
    take care,
    John
    Thanks for the suggestions, John. Actually, there are a number of tools with the flex on it, but I just do that as close to the machine as possible. It's working pretty good, so I don't know if I'll be changing much. None of the machines really move, even if they are on mobile bases. About the only ones are the drum sander, when I have longer stock to do and the W&H molder gets carted over to where the planer usually lives.

You ain't lyin' about the lighting! I really do want to get the daylight bulbs in there! I will, however, do just that when I get to finishing up the finishing room. That's where it will be most important. Once that's done, then I'll start converting the main shop area.

That heater was used for a season in my old, little shop and only for a real short period in this one. I used to have a wood burner in here, until my insurance guy almost had a coronary. I would leave it on in the evening to maintain a decent level when the fire died. Since then, a propane fired Hot Dawg has been put into service with a setback thermostat. Much more convenient!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Wow! He reads latin, too.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Nice collection of tools. Nice space. Missing one thing though: wood. I saw a few boards laying about here and there but that kind of shop deserves a rack of 1000bf+. Cherry, walnut, oaks, poplar, sheet goods, some figured maple, bowl blanks, good gosh man, you could fill up maybe 5% of that space in no time!

John,
    What a great enviornment! You know how they say everyman's home is his castle? Well I think you've moved the castle to the shop! Now if I can just find a way to get my old entertainment center in mine..................... I'd need a big shoe horn for that!
    John

Thumbs up

I can only say (again) FANTASTIC, John.

If I recall correctly, wern't you looking for shop ideas about the time Badger Pond expired? I had been a lurker there, and had just posted a short tour of my 'money pit' when the end came (like the same week!). In fact, I've been gunshy about getting too active since

If I ever get up in your neck of the woods, I'll give you a shout.

Spence

Great shop John. What no cheese cutter?
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen