Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucy Telles lidded Basket

Lucy Telles lidded Basket

A piece that I recently finished. This is a copy of a Lucy Telles lidded Basket.
    Size is 8" D. X 5.5" H., Wet-turned from Sugar Maple, DNA soaked, dryed, re-turned with 1/8" beads, usual pyrography, dyes and finish applied.
    Critiques, comments & downright put-downs acceptable!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

As always you have come up with an incredibly beautiful work of art here. How long did this take you? The detail is amazing on this, have you ever heard from any native americans about your work? I would assume they would be thrilled to have someone honor them this way.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Just beautiful and has to be a ton of work into one of these. I will leave this stuff to you.

Jim that is just one of the most beautiful thing i have ever seen on any of these forums. I'm heading to the shop to start practicing this as soon as i get off this puter.I know it will take me years to figure all of this out, but i will keep playing with this till i get it , or die trying.

Amazing!.... Again!

Hard to believe it is wood. Phenomenal work. The colors just make everything look so much like a woven basket. Thanks for allowing us to share in a rare glimpse of a museum quality turning.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

This is another beautiful piece, Jim. I'm kind of torn about the unfinished areas under the lid and on the base of the form... I like the fact that one can easily tell that the piece is made of wood, but another part of me wants the entire thing to be beaded and burned to keep the illusion going. Regardless of my internal conflict, I continue to be in awe of your patience and skill.

Remarkable! Im sure even Lucy would love it if she saw it. I think your work is swaying me from my future plans to go segmented when I retire in a few yrs. Thanks for sharing.
    mj

WOW....you Creekers certainly know how to make an old guy feel good!! I will try to respond to some of your comments. Tim: I never keep track of my time, usually working on 2-3 at any given time (they go stale!) Have never heard from any of the Native people regarding my work. Alan: thanks for the words. Steve: I like your thinking!!, if I can help, pm me. John & Bob: Thanks again, nice words for sure. DK: I am in agreement with you about the underside of the "lid", should have completed the burning. (next time!) I leave the interior of the foot "raw", need a place to write my credits and this seems to be the only spot, but your right again, it would look better with beading, ect. Good points, well taken, thanks.
    Michael: I would hope Lucy would look favorable at a "ripoff" of her stuff but she's long gone but decendants of hers might view it positively.....let's hope. Thanks to all for the good words, I appreciate your time to post.
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Jim - I am amazed yet again! Absolutely stunning!

The amount of research, detail and effort that you put into each piece is beyond anything I can contemplate at this point in my turning adventure! I love your work - especially the illusion aspect of it! Are you planning to attend the symposium? If so, I sure hope I get to meet you and shake your hand - in the hopes that some of your talent will rub off on me!

Beautiful work and I agree with Bob - museum quality art! Thanks so much for sharing! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow, indeed! Wonderful piece.

Sure wish talent like yours could rub off to me via the internet.

Sorry, Jim... I'm all out of superlatives. And as I am late coming today, all the good ones have already been used. I'll just go off and scratch my head for a bit...
    David DeCristoforo

I get to say WOW!! for the second time. The first being when I saw this piece back in March. Excellent work, and I can only hope to do half as good....someday.

"usual pyrography, dyes and finish applied."
    I love how you say that as if it's quite a common thing that everyone does! This is another outstanding piece! I only dream of being half this talented.

Jim, You sent me on a research run. I took a little time to read about Lucy Parker Telles and see what this is all about. She really did wonderful work....Long, hard, unrewarded beautiful work...as you are doing now. I would trust her descendants would appreciate your work.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson