Thread: What's happening to this Mohogany?????

What's happening to this Mohogany?????

My brother sent me, via parcel post, some Mahogony he picked up 16 years ago. He was told it was from the 1940's. It's been sitting in his cellar in New York for the past 16 years. When I got the package, some of the wood had a sticky sap on it. the sap has since crystallized. Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the wood?
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the wood?"

Sticky sap has oozed out and cryatallized.
    David DeCristoforo

That's what I love about this place. You ask a question...and no matter how technical or difficult. there is someone to provide an in-depth analysis, based on years of research and dedication to satisfy that overwhelming urge to know.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

This wood is over 65 years old. I should think all the sap has long gone. Could the low pressure in the cargo hold of an aircraft have something to do with it?

It looks like it has had some sort of critter in it that left behind its "SPOOR" and that is the goo. I know all the technical terms I am using my throw some of you, but I really am a doofus woodturner! Wood and basements can cause dry rot and bugs etc. The end piece looks almost like particle board with maybe a thin veneer on it, so maybe not solid wood.

But I am half asleep from chasing my 17 month old grandson all day! Where do they get all that energy??

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

"sticky sap" can remain in certain woods for decades and centuries. I have cut into yellow pine timbers used in late 1800's New England construction and found pockets of sappy resin numerous times. There may also be some pockets of crystallized sap as well. I don't know mahogany well, though.

I don't know mahogany either but the "sap" in wood doesn't really leave. When we dry wood, the moisture is removed and the sap hardens to some degree. I would guess that this wood being stored in a damp celler for 15 years might have absorbed enough moisture to soften the sap and now that it is in a dryer climate, the moisture and sap are being drawn to the surface. No expert here.... just a theory.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

I have never seen that on Mahogany before, but that is a wood that I don't get much of. I have seen that on Spanish Cedar though. Do a scratch and sniff test. Mahogany doesn't have much of a scent.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    That's what I love about this place. You ask a question...and no matter how technical or difficult. there is someone to provide an in-depth analysis, based on years of research and dedication to satisfy that overwhelming urge to know.
    This is only found with people in Calif. You might check with Calif. for more information on the subject!

That's some odd looking mahogany; was it painted at some point?

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    When I got the package, some of the wood had a sticky sap on it. the sap has since crystallized. Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the wood?
    found this in a Google search see Mineral inclusions :

http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b...h/melswmac.htm

I work a lot with koa. And that looks like the beginning of dry rot. Just my 2cents