Thread: Clewes class project...

Clewes class project...

Monday I was lucky enough to take a 1 day class with Jimmy Clewes. We did a closed bowl in the morning and a lidded box with a insert in the afternoon. Here are the projects finished. The bowl is Ambrosia Maple with Turquoise InLace. The box is Cherry with Cocobola insert. I used spray lacquer for the bowl, but used ca glue for the box. Stickfast has a new glue JUST for finishing with a longer work time and it does not foam when accelerated. I like the finish and so does everyone that has seen it. Comments welcome and thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

where did you take the class ??? and why wasnt I informed (haha)

nice work by the way, I like the inlace bowl ... very nice.

Neat stuff, Russell. That cocobolo insert really puts that box over the top. Congrats on getting to spend some time with a great teacher.

I'm envious. And I'm wondering the same things as Lee. Did you take this class thru a Turning Club and what turning Club do you belong too? He was at our club (Barnsville) last year, but he only did a demo didn't offer a class (conflicting schedules I think).

I like them both, especially the lidded box.

Nice pieces! I spent a day last fall at our local chapter with Clewes demoing, and he's funny as heck and a great turner. Great Gloat.
    mj

Russell - looks like you paid attention in class!! Very nice work on both of these - especially the box! Really like the insert!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Russell

I like both pieces, but the box is something I want to pick up and examine. Nicely done.

those are great looking pieces.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Those are both cool Russell!! Must have been a great day and looks like learned a thing or two!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Lee and Bill the classes were held at Peachtree Woodworking and 3 days were for the Georgia Woodturners Association, the Monday class was for the Gwinett Woodworker Association. I am in the Gwinett club. I was very impressed with the class. He turns at a high rate of speed. It was in the 2000+ rpm range, he did mention that we should only turn at a speed WE were comfortable with. We even spent a few min. talking about some of the recent accidents and safety while turning. I had a green piece of wood for the box, so this one was turned at the house. The one at the class has changed shape so much the lid has to be beaten off with a bowl gouge. Thanks for the comments. Russell