Thread: Update 2 - Demolition done and Construction Starts

Update 2 - Demolition done and Construction Starts

The sloping bedrock required us to bring in loads, 15 in total, of gravel to level the floors and to provide proper drainage. The excavator and stone slinger dispensed them as required.

SAM_0121.jpgSAM_0127.jpg

We are putting radiant floor heating in one part of the addition in a 5” concrete pad so I had to remove the existing board and batten where the addition will join the house.

SAM_0133.jpgSAM_0142.jpg

We finally got the 350’ trench dug out to the field with enough slope that all the water would drain by gravity, negating the use of any sump pumps. Luckily we didn’t hit bedrock during this dig. You can see how much water we have to get rid of. This has been an incredibly wet spring so if it takes care of this much rain and groundwater, I know we won’t have any issues in the future.

SAM_0136.jpgSAM_0141.jpg

Next up, pouring floors, finish insulating the crawl spaces and then we start pounding nails!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Patrick, I'm looking forward to your progress. You're going to have some beautiful countryside out your shop door!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks Bruce, we have a little over 100 acres so we have tons of privacy and I don't have to worry about disturbing the neighbours, just my family. The views are great, my shop windows are all 3' wide by 4' high and will have 4 windows facing south although two will have a large deck over them so the southern light won't be direct. The finishing room will have 3 windows in it and my office will have two so lot's of natural light in all areas. Can't wait to have the initial framing done to really get a sense of the space. I will try and post updates every week or two.

I love the open space - nice.