Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a computer, should I get a Mac?

Blog Entries

Buying a computer, should I get a Mac?

I am in the market for a computer and I am going to buy a brand new and an upper end model. My needs are as follows
    1. internet access
    2. word processing
    3. working with family photos and videos
    4. drawing plans with autocad
    My biggest gripes about my 2 current PCs is that after 2 to 3 years they get slow and have virus problems. So I am considering a Mac but having only owned PCs I am still skeptical as far as the price v. quality.
    Thoughts, advice, experiences, I am all ears.

My career was based on PC's and I have used them since they came without hard drives, so that goes back a long time. Remember the IBM PC? I've gone from there to Windows XP, Windows servers, etc. In my personal life I have also had PC's at home - all MS Windows of course. Maybe it's because of this and much negative experience; sometimes feeling like a cash cow always having to upgrade and buy virus s/w that a couple of years ago I switched to an iMac. I'd go back to PC's only at gunpoint. My wife, son and daughter also have iMacs and everyone feels the same. Most of my use is like you, ie: items 1-3. Actually not 4. If you want 4, I would suggest Gimp which is free. I loaded and used it briefly but prefer working in wood.
    For what it's worth. Feel free PM me if you have any questions. We've been living in a PC free environment for a few years now. And I no longer have to buy virus s/w...

I've been using PC's since they were made available to the public. I use PC's every day, 7 days a week, and have for a long, long time.

I picked up a Mac about 2 weeks ago, and it's my first mac.

Is it easy to use? I don't know, some things confuse the crap out of me. Most of the time it's because of my previous education with PC's. For instance, I didn't understand the whole "installing and deleting software" thing on a mac. It's a bit of an odd thing. Then I googled it and had a "Duh" moment. Want to remove an application? There is no "uninstall". You just drag it to the trash can. Done. Oh, okay....didn't know that.

In 2 weeks there have been many of those moments. However, in those 2 weeks, I have accomplished some things I was really battling on a PC. For instance, the integration between products is AWESOME. Dealing with photos, videos, making DVD's, etc. is OUTSTANDING.

I find I have produced much more creative things than I ever did before and it's because of the ease of use and the integration of all the various programs. It's very easy to take photos, drop them into a movie and then, if you want, burn them to disc, or share the movie with others.

I use Pages to do text documents, and I can't say that's been an easy transition, but it's a completely different angle on working with documents. The more I understand how it's set up, the more it all makes sense and I'm happy with it.

I can't say it's better or worse than a PC. All I can say is that it's different and some things are much easier for me, and some things still confuse me a great deal.

The biggest thing for me is all the little things that seem to almost happen automatically. For instance, someone sent me an email and said "Do you want to meet me tonight at 8:00?". When I was reading it, my cursor hit the "tonight at 8:00" and it popped up with a little arrow on it. I clicked it and a pop up came up and it said "Do you want to add this to your calender?". Oh, cool! Cool because that calendar is synched with my phone automatically. There are lots of little things like that, that make the user experience seem more intuitive to me. Are they big deals? No. But a lot of little deals can add up to 1 big deal.

iPhoto works fairly well. It scans for faces too, so once you map a few faces, then it will search all your photos for that face and put each one in it's own "folder". So you can click on "Faces" and it'll show a board full of faces and names. You click on one and it'll pull up all photos with that persons face on it. It seems to work well and I really like that feature as I have about 15,000 photos. I can't say I understand iphoto all that well yet. I don't quite get the organization of it all, but I'm learning.

I've had it crash several times, I've had it lock up and I've had to do the "control alt. delete" equivalent a couple of times. So I can't say it operates any different than a PC, but I do know that it's allowed me to do things, things with software that comes on the Mac, that I have purchased very expensive software for on the PC.

I think if you wanted to pick apart either, you could. But all in all, I'd have to say that the user experience, for me, has been more fluid, and more natural in many ways. I have yet to look for a piece of software for it that I couldn't find.

That's just my experience with it. Someone else may have the exact opposite experience.
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 05-29-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Apple makes fantastic products. No question about it. One fundamental reason for this is Apple's closed ecosystem.

I am a PC guy, VIC 20 to Windows Server 2008. Like Scott, I find many actions things confusing and counter intuitive to my knowledge base. All those keyboard shortcuts for the Windows OS and various programs? Don't count. If you are a mouse centric user, you have little to worry about. I try to avoid the mouse as much as possible, so when ever I find myself using the IMac at work I stumble around far more than I care for.

Apple Pages (their take on word processing and desktop publishing) is top notch. I gave up on their spreadsheet Numbers.

The file management on the Apple OS is probably my biggest complaint. It just doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, neither does Windows 7. I guess in both Apple and MS attempt to make file management easy for most people they've made it confusing for a smaller segment of users.

I am looking into video editing software and hardware. Apple is clearly in the running.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I use them both.

The largest reason to go Mac is to avoid viruses, AFAIC.

But that may be coming to an end.

http://www.virusbtn.com/virusbulleti.../vb201105-news

I think there is a very good chance there will be wide-spread infections on Mac machines by the end of the year.

And so few people on Mac have any antivirus software, and there is so little knowledge about cleaning them, that the entire Mac universe may grind to a halt when it hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steiner View Post
    I am in the market for a computer and I am going to buy a brand new and an upper end model. My needs are as follows
    1. internet access
    2. word processing
    3. working with family photos and videos
    4. drawing plans with autocad
    My biggest gripes about my 2 current PCs is that after 2 to 3 years they get slow and have virus problems. So I am considering a Mac but having only owned PCs I am still skeptical as far as the price v. quality.
    Thoughts, advice, experiences, I am all ears.
    This is a loaded question you know... the type of question that sparks wars. Zealots on either side.

Macs these days ARE PCs on the inside. They are well built but you can get a PC with way better specs for much less money. They aren't virus free like everyone claims and they do crash just like a Windows machine. It boils down to preference. There isn't a ton of difference between Windows 7 and MacOS. Apple support is pretty good but you must play by their rules. There are cults and zealots on either side of the issue so you really need to sit down in front of each and see which you'd rather spend your money on.

Blog Entries
    Blind prejudice aside (you'll get plenty of that); the folks who handle such things report that they clean up as many MAC and Linux machines at work as they do Windows. The problems that used to plague Windows more than others (due to sheer number of users) has pretty nearly homogenized. Keeping your machine uncluttered to avoid slowdown and keeping it virus free is a social problem as much as a technical one. Practice good use and maintenance habits, use good protective products and, your user experience should be pretty consistent.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-29-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: punctuation
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Paul,

It seems that your main gripe about PC's are virus's and slowing down. Both could be a function of the following:

What browser are you using? If you are using Internet Explorer (particularly an earlier version) try using Firefox 4.0. I made the switch years ago and said goodbye to viruses. I use it at home and also converted our office network. No viruses. No crashes. Do you clear your Temporary Internet files on a regular basis by going to your Control Panel Internet Options? That is a major cause for slowdowns. Some virus programs compete with your operating system and applications for resources which will also cause slowdowns. Get a simple virus program such as McAfee and stay away from the complex "do all" versions. Virus programs such as Norton had a history of using large amounts of your PC resources. If you are hooked up to cable TV/Internet your provider may offer a free security package such as McAfee. Stay away from CA (Computer Associates).

Looking at your list of needs I believe it is overkill to buy a "high end machine" unless your photo and video needs include major editing and preparation of videos with music and voice overs and special effects. If you have such a need, consider a MAC, if your needs are more modest stay with the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    But that may be coming to an end.
    Or, it may not.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    the entire Mac universe may grind to a halt when it hits.
    Or, it may not.

People have been saying the virus' are coming for Mac's for 10 years now. Live in the current, not the future of what could happen.

There are many anti-virus programs available for the Mac, and as soon as a nasty one comes along, it'll be front page news and everyone in the world will know about it, because it'll be the "I told you Mac's could get virus' " story that will be on every news channel for weeks. When that happens, you can buy the protection you need. Until then, not much to worry about as long as you keep your OS up to date.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Apple makes fantastic products. No question about it. One fundamental reason for this is Apple's closed ecosystem......
    I once heard "Apple is for people who used to believe in God, and are looking for a substitute".

From what I've seen, it's only a half-joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steiner View Post
    I am in the market for a computer......My biggest gripes about my 2 current PCs is that after 2 to 3 years they get slow and have virus problems......
    This is most definitely a "maintenance" issue and not a PC issue. Our two computers are almost 8 years old, running WinXP, and anytime I start to see a slow-down, a quick scrub with one of the many freeware programs gets them right back where they were.

I'd get a PC. Much more for much less. Apple is a fashion company as much as a tech company, and you pay up for fashion, no doubt about it.

AVG, malwarebytes, etc. are free for PCs.

I've never spent a nickel on virus software, and one of my PCs is near 10 years old (it is just about useless as anything other than a word processor and internet surfer now, though), and the other 3.

All you need to learn on a PC is to understand what processes appear to be legit and if you think something has slipped under the free AV radar, then you can go through the processes on google and find out.

I am only a half-hearted user in terms of knowing what's going on in my PC, i'm sure the more avid folks could tell us better free programs than I've mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    People have been saying the virus' are coming for Mac's for 10 years now. Live in the current, not the future of what could happen.
    I'm not sure what to say to that. First, people HAVE been saying viruses are coming to the Mac for a long time. It is an obvious prediction to make, because it is true. It IS only a matter of time.

More to the point, VB magazine is writing about the code they're seeing. People are actually writing code, and sharing it. They aren't doing this because they AREN'T going to release the code.

Finally, if I was purchasing a new computer and was considering a Mac just because I'm tired of viruses, I'd sure want someone to tell me of such a development.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    There are many anti-virus programs available for the Mac, and as soon as a nasty one comes along, it'll be front page news and everyone in the world will know about it, because it'll be the "I told you Mac's could get virus' " story that will be on every news channel for weeks. When that happens, you can buy the protection you need. Until then, not much to worry about as long as you keep your OS up to date.
    All those virus products for the Mac are largely untested in their ability to fend-off a major outbreak, and likely won't even work as well as the products for Windows. And we know how well those work.

In addition, many service shops are not equipped for a Mac virus onslaught. My shop has four machines dedicated to virus cleaning, but they will only work on Windows machines. I have two Macs I could dedicate, if need be. My largest competitor doesn't work on Mac, period.

If there is an outbreak, finding a shop with the expertise to help, which can do so in a timely manner, may be difficult.

Ignoring any of those possibilities, IMHO, just isn't prudent. I'm not saying not to buy Mac. I'm just saying, don't buy it solely because you think you'll be safe from viruses.

Last point: On a properly configured Win7 machine (all accounts running as limited user expect one admin account that isn't normally use by anyone in the family), viruses just aren't scary. Don't give your kid's the admin password, and the worst that will happen is you will get annoyance viruses that are easily removed.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 05-29-2011 at 3:18 PM.

I agree with Phil. Last week the boss' IMac was exposed to the Mac virus. Fortunately she called me up to look at the screen shot. I had to do a double take. I determined it was not a legitimate email and trying to close it started an automatic download of a program.

The Apple universe has been insulated from virus', malware and trojans because the math didn't add up. Professional virus writers went where the greatest exposure existed. There is nothing preventing a malware app from trying to download itself and prompting the user to provide the admin password. Tricking users into installing malware is not restricted to any one environment.

Apple has relied on their small foot print in the market. As they continue to grow they will need to be more proactive in protecting the OS and educating their users.

I still think they are one of the most innovative companies in tech field, and they make great products. I just don't like the fact that you are locked into Apple. Love my IPod Nano 3rd generation. Hate that I have to use ITunes to manage it.
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 05-29-2011 at 3:22 PM.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Blog Entries
    I have been primarily a Mac user since they first appeared on the market.

I have used PCs, but prefer Macs.

Most of my creative work is with graphics and such.

Anyone who tries to tell you Macs are immune from viruses is lying to you.

There is always some disturbed miscreant somewhere who wants to be the one to mess up people's lives. They also work at messing with Macs.

I have been a member of a Macintosh user's group for almost twenty years. They are tending to disappear with the internet, but they have equivalents on the net.

Most of it is the same precautions one should take with a PC. Don't download everything there is to down load from every site you happen to by chance to land.

I think half of those flashing pop up ads with too good to be true offers are a lot of the problem. I tend to avoid any site that automatically tries to sneak something onto my screen without me knowing.

I send a lot of my mail to the "Junk Mail" folder. On the Mac Mail program if it is in this folder, the images do not load and let the sender know the mail was opened. A lot of my junk mail is bounced back to the sender so their mail program sees my eddress as if it doesn't exist. Gets rid of a lot of spam that way.

No matter what system you have, you have to remain vigilant about what you allow to enter your computer's environment.

If an email comes to me from an unknown source, it is bounced. If it is from a friend, they will tell me that my eddress didn't work.

You also need to apply the updates for security patches whether you have a PC or a Mac.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Admittedly, I am biased to Macs. I use both Macs and PC (required for work) and can function either way. For scientific programs, music, or graphics, mac is generally preferred. No computers are immune to viruses. but with a modicum of care, you can do just fine. No every Apple product is superior. For instance I would recommend Firefox over Safari, Thunderbird over Mail and Microsoft office also works well on the Mac. Aperture is the upgrade to iPhoto and is superior in many ways. The best things about the Mac are lack of maintenance effort and longevity.

I recently went to an iMac after my ten year old quicksiver tower finally died. The ten year old machine worked well until it had a catastrophic motherboard failure. In the time I had had the one Mac, I had 6 PC Laptops at work. The effort in keeping the 6 PC's functioning was greater per machine by an order of magnitude than my Mac.

If you want to play computer games however, the PC has many more options. Lucky for me, I don't care much
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"