Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: About to throw my JJP-12 through the window...

About to throw my JJP-12 through the window...

...or would but it's too dang heavy. I'm starting to despise my JJP-12. It doesn't seem to matter what I do lately, but no matter what I adjust to get the thing working perfectly, it immediately drifts out of adjustment in short order. I'm tired of adjusting this stupid thing...just sick to death of it!

Anyone else have persistent issues? Anyone else feeling like they wish someone would come steal it so you can get something that works?

It seemed to be fine for the first couple of years but I'm pulling my hair out and wasting FAR too much time adjusting machinery and far too little time working. It's actually become a problem and is affecting my work.

The planing side of it seems okay at the moment. It's really the tables that just don't seem right anymore. There's always something out. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking of picking up a small, conventional jointer just for edge work but the last thing I need in my shop is more machinery!

Dang! I was hoping there was a video......

Blog Entries
    Well this stinks. What does Jet say? I think that is a p-bed machine so unless something is moving that shouldn't . . . oh wait, that was stupid of me . Of course something is moving that shouldn't, otherwise it would stay aligned. It seems to me several folks on here went with this machine. Maybe change the thread title to (or start another thread with) "Anyone Having JJP-12 Alignment Problems"? It would be good to know of other's experiences. If it is a known issue, then that's painful but, you'll know to stop trying to make it right. If there is a known fix, this could be your fastest way to get past the issue and get back to what you want to be doing. Please keep us posted.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I plan on contacting them in the morning, Glenn. Obviously something has come loose, bent, broken, cracked or something somewhere in the works. I don't think it's a bad machine. It was fine for years but it's giving me fits now.

Assuming you're not moving it ... I'm clueless.

My 16" Felder can't tolerate being moved on my horrible garage floor. Contemplating spending a couple weeks of my time making some self leveling hydraulic feet for it. Seems easier than grinding the floor flat.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I plan on contacting them in the morning, Glenn. Obviously something has come loose, bent, broken, cracked or something somewhere in the works. I don't think it's a bad machine. It was fine for years but it's giving me fits now.
    Well I wouldn't call them, I would just junk it. I will be by next week and haul it off for you and then you can get a new one.....

Wow...this is monumental. Someone having a problem with a machine and it's not a Grizzly! How can that be?

(winks at the Grizzly bashers...you know who you are).
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Wow...this is monumental. Someone having a problem with a machine and it's not a Grizzly! How can that be?

Maybe Shiraz will fix it anyway, just to be on the safe side.

wow, not exactly an inexpensive piece of machinery. good luck with resolving the issue. i'm sure jet will deliver the best support they can.

John your on to something. Bake a green powder coat on it - then post a rant about Grizzly and China.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    come loose, bent, broken, cracked or something somewhere in the works.
    I hadn't thought of that. A crack or some other failing that allowed movement without actually dropping off with a clunk sounds like a good theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Well I wouldn't call them, I would just junk it. I will be by next week and haul it off for you and then you can get a new one.....
    Not if I get there first! Oh wait . . . Bill is much closer. No fair.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post

Good one. I sometimes think the mayo and mustard owners are like MAC owners . . . its as if nothing ever goes wrong with them

– Samuel Butler

John,
    I don't have a Jet J/P but do have experience with both Felder and MM J/P. You really haven't been specific on what is out but based on the info you have provided, I would surmize it is a looseness somewhere in the table hinges, locking mechanism or table stops. Check these areas first and make sure your table is locked down securely. If it is not obvious, I would call Jet as I recall, they have a fairly long warranty.
    Steve

Mine is new and my tables won't stay co-planer either. There's just too much slop. For critical joining, we get out the straight edge and fine tune the table by lifting one end. No joke. It stays long enough to do the job. At some point, I might take the whole thing apart and see if it can be improved. Maybe some shimming in the table slots? I haven't looked at it that closely yet.

If this isn't bad enough, the tables were not flat either. But that was the one advantage of those stupid ridges. I was able to flatten them myself with a friend and a large granite surface plate. Mine came with a bad motor to boot but they sent me a new one.

I think you do have to know going into it that this machine is a compromise. I looked at the Hammer but helical cutters were not an option as far as I could tell.

The planer works great and the switchover is a breeze. Now that my tables are flat, I'd be well pleased if I could get the stupid thing to stay true.

Hi Kent, yes it's possible to have a Hammer J/P with helical cutters.

I have the straight knife version, great machine.............Regards, Rod.