Thread: PC 557 only joiner to use FF biscuits?

PC 557 only joiner to use FF biscuits?

I will be purchasing a biscuit joiner for an upcoming project. Its a wall unit with face frames involved. Obviously, the 557 looks attractive but I'm wondering if anybody else makes a joiner that can use the FF biscuits? I'd love to find a used one if anybody is getting rid of it, wink wink, hint hint. Thanks

Bobby

Ryobi used to make a "detail biscuit jointer", intended for small projects like you're describing. You could probably pick up a used one for under $50. They are all over the bay and often appear on craigslist. I'd personally hold out for the Porter Cable though. I have one which has helped me build scads of cabinets, etc. Works great. Even the dust extraction is good.

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    Ryobi used to make a "detail biscuit jointer", intended for small projects like you're describing. You could probably pick up a used one for under $50. They are all over the bay and often appear on craigslist. I'd personally hold out for the Porter Cable though. I have one which has helped me build scads of cabinets, etc. Works great. Even the dust extraction is good.
    The dust collection is excellent--if it's hooked up to a vacuum. I tried the bag when I first got it and wasn't all that thrilled. Maybe I didn't have it attached correctly, dunno.

It's the only one I know of that cuts FF slots. But when I've needed FF slots, I've been able to plan my work and cut them with a slot cutter on my router table. But if you have to cut them on an assembled project you need the portable unit.

I have a DeWalt biscuit joiner and don't use it very much. Next to my hand held power planer, it's one of the least used tools in my shop.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm going with the 557, either way I think. It seems to be a solid unit, of the "old" PC lineage. I found one in a local CL ad for $130 with "several hundred biscuits" but haven't heard back from him. We'll see. I'd be pleased with that price.

Check which "type" 557 you will be buying used. There were problems with the P-C 557 Type 2. Here is a thread concerning all that;

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...iner-557/page2

I have a Lamello Jr. that will run for ever! But, it lacks the rack and pinion fence aligner. A used DeWalt biscuit joiner bargain off ebay serves me very well for other quickly adjustable tasks. I'd love to have a P-C 557 also, but just havn't been at the right place at the right time...yet!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I also have the PC 557 and it has been a real work horse in the shop. I bought the discontinued Ryobi unit for a large number of picture frames that I had to make. It works well for small work but I am having a problem finding replacement biscuits for it. Sears no longer has the biscuits and the big box store does not carry them any more as well..
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Quote Originally Posted by Don Selke View Post
    I also have the PC 557 and it has been a real work horse in the shop. I bought the discontinued Ryobi unit for a large number of picture frames that I had to make. It works well for small work but I am having a problem finding replacement biscuits for it. Sears no longer has the biscuits and the big box store does not carry them any more as well..
    I saw some of those small biscuits today at a Lowes in Columbia, TN. They were made by Bosch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber1 View Post
    I saw some of those small biscuits today at a Lowes in Columbia, TN. They were made by Bosch.
    Yeah, someone explain THAT to me. To the best of my knowledge, Bosch doesn't make anything that will cut FF biscuits.