Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just don't make them to last anymore

Just don't make them to last anymore

After about 35 years, my old Sears shop vac is giving up the ghost. It is losing power, suction, and I can see it arcing pretty badly through the top.

What brand do you use? Just what is on sale? I just use it now to sweep up. Have a GRZ dust collector.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Try replacing the brushes.

Sear vac's are hard to beat if all you need is a shop vac. They are noisy , tip over on their own cord , but for the price they REALLY suck,,,, in a good way!!

I agree with Paul - try a new set of brushes. But if that doesn't work, almost all the modern shop vacs are pretty good. I have a ShopVac (brand) and have been satisfied with it. More than sucking power, I think the major difference between brands will be how loud they are.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks, Paul and Mike. Do you think I can still get brushes for a 35-40 year old SV?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

If you wind up replacing it, I'll second the motion on a Shop Vac brand. I've only had a couple but its much better than the Rigid I had previously. I'm very satisfied with it. Also, I just use it for clean up as well. I suppose I'd be ok with attaching it to a small tool but I don't want to burn it up prematurely.

I've read a lot of good about the Kobalt's at Lowes. I like how it also has an on off switch on the end of the hose too. The reviews on the lowes site seem to be the best of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    Do you think I can still get brushes for a 35-40 year old SV?
    http://parts.sears.com/partsdirect/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    Thanks, Paul and Mike. Do you think I can still get brushes for a 35-40 year old SV?
    As Dave's link shows Sears will have them. I'd pull one and take it to your local Ace Hardware , ours has most brushes I've needed and the one in the next town over has had the ones I couldn't get 2 minutes away.

Good luck.

Tom:
    After 35 years, not only are the brushes bad but the bearings have to prety worn as well, I would replace the vacuum as others have suggested. I replaced mine with a Ridgid from the box store and really like it. If noise is a factor, you may want to think about a Fein or a Festool dust extraction unit. Very expensive but I hear lots of good coments about both of them. I bought the Festool and never regreted the purchase. The Festool is used for my sanders only. Watch for sales there are some good deals out there.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

35 years is pretty good for a vac. Let it die in peace because it probably isn't worth fixing.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Don Selke View Post
    I bought the Festool and never regreted the purchase. The Festool is used for my sanders only. Watch for sales there are some good deals out there.
    There are never good deals on Festool as they dictate pricing to their dealers. They have run a few promotions for 10 or 15% off very select tools. In the Festool world, 10 to 15% off is considered exciting.

I got a small Fein at a big sale at woodcraft, but now that I've used it for several years, I'd happily pay full price. Being able to vacuum without donning ear plugs makes me smile every time I turn it on. I guess I was traumatized by the jet engine wail of my craftsman ;-). It also uses bags, so emptying it does not require a dust mask, and you dont have to beat the dust out of the folds in the filter.

13. I have 2 Ridgid's a 6 gallon and a wall mounted one I got on sale for cheap. HD occasionally has sales for the 12 gallon one for pretty cheap. I can't compare it to any others as I have only owned these 2 shop vacs. But they do their job.

Blower end most likely has a ball bearing, and brush end has an oil lite bearing. Bearings, plus brushes will be about $25. Be sure and get a sealed bearing, though due to speed of shaft, a shielded may be a better choice. If you trash motor head, save canister and use it to make a Phil Thien Baffle. My 1984 Sears 16 gal is still going strong. I have a newer Ridgid, and I belive if I hooked the two together with one hose, the Sears would soon suck the Ridgid into it's canister.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 05-30-2011 at 10:09 PM.

I have a Ridgid 16 gal that I bought last year at Home Depot. It's the best shop vac that I've ever had - great suction. Much better than the "Shop Vac" brand that I've had in the past. At regular price it's around $170 for the top of the line vac. Highly recommend.