Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About those new Years resolutions... Smoking....

Thanks Jerry!

Good resolution on your end too! It will take a little while to get used to the GRR-Ripper, but once you do, you will wonder how you ever did woodworking without one. Very rare is the occasion when I am at the table saw or router table with out at least one ready to go.

The splitters are another great addition to the table saw.

Keep it up Jerry and I will do the same!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    One of my NY resolutions was to be more safety minded in the shop. Last week, I added a new splitter to my TS. Yesterday, I assembled my new GrrRipper. Small steps...

I used to smoke in college, Navy etc But even in my mid 20's felt lousy in AM and decided to phase out. Took a few years but now haven't smoked a cig in over 10 yrs. Now we have tons of medical evidence how bad it is. Anyhow, Congrats and keep up your fine effort! Its worth it!!

That's a good push!

Hi Tim,

That sounds like a good push to help me along, I like it!

Both of my parents are still alive, but they are both on Oxygen as they too were life long smokers. I just hope that I have quit in time so I am not forced to take oxygen hits between takes while filming, I have enough to do out there without that distraction added to the mess.

Thanks again, I really appreciate everyone's encouragement!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    Chris: I have my "renewal" in hand...I will wait a month and if you are still smoke free I will "renew"...anyone else?

My mother(life long smoker) died of lung cancer at the age of 58...not good!!!

I quit Jan 19th 2004---over a year smoke free. Gained 60 lbs but I am on a diet now.
    Once you make up your mind that you are not going to smoke---your the winner.
    I done stupid stuff like ---no it my life and I am in complete control---not the cig. co.
    I had smoked 3 packs a day for over 30 years so do not let the amount worry you.
    This was kinda neat---phone call last week about a smokers survey---told them sorry I quit and hung up.
    My wife still smokes --but she is down to a pack a week--was 2 packs a day.
    You can do anything ---if you really put your mind to it.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Chris:

I quit Sept 28, 1983 when I had my appendix taken out. I was smoke free until 1999 when I was working in Zurich. Everyone over there smokes and I figured instead of breathing their smoke I might as well smoke again. I quit as soon as my contract ended and I came back to the States and haven't had one since.

Good Luck.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Tha't strange...

Having a rather stressful week so far I was holding off the urges to smoke while entering my fourth week. This morning, I ended walking out behind the shop area to have a smoke - I don't even have any to smoke. After realizing my blunder, I carefully looked around to see if anyone saw me standing there like a fool, didn't see anyone so I snuck back into the shop.

That was a close one, good thing I didn't have anything around to smoke

Chris

Chris,
    I put them down on the 1st of january 1971 and have not looked back. They were also my great stress reliever. I looked around for a substitute and found that for me, an an hour of physical exercise a day keeps everything in perspective and reduces my stress levels down to a level manageable by a glass of red wine at dinner time!!
    Hang tough!!
    Ted

Hang in there Chris. I quit in 1968, cold turkey,after using a carton of smokes a week. The first day was the worse, then the first week, and then the first month. If you can make it to 6 months, and you were serious about quiting, you are pretty much over the hump. When you get to the place where secondary smoke is obnoxious, you have made it. It is a simple matter of will power.

I had a friend at work that was always going out for a smoke(the company was/is smoke free), they buried him last week - lung cancer.

Illigitimatimus non carborundum
    Best Regards, Ken

Hey, Chris, hang in there. It does get easier as time goes on. It's been just over 7 years for me. Quit cold turkey on New Years Eve 1997. Had been smoking 2+ packs a day.

As Ken said, when secondary smoke is foul to you, you'll know you made it. Also, when you walk out of a smoke free building and can smell the smoke of people who gather near the front door to smoke, and it kind of turns your stomach.

I don't begrudge those who smoke and it doesn't really bother me if they smoke in my presence, because I used to smoke, but have no desire to smoke at all. My clothes smell better now, also.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

You know you really have it when you can smell the stink from the guy in the car in front of you when the windows are up! Happens all the time to us now.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I hope you guys can stick with it! I quit smoking on Oct. 25, 1986..the day my son was born. I had lost a daughter prior to his birth (premature birth) her lungs had not formed enough to function, we were told they were at that point as thin as tissue paper. When they applied oxygen it more or less blew them apart So when Chris was born I remember looking at him in the almost same condition (premature) thinking why am I ruining my lungs when my kids have none and making a plea to God. "I promise I will never smoke again if you would please spare this child". My mom and aunt both quit the same day and none of us have ever smoked again. I kept my promise and God made Chris healthy...he just got done with his Sr. year of football, they were Regional champs, he was a starting offensive guard, picked all conference offensive lineman and was looked at by a couple of colleges. (Oops can you tell I'm proud)
    Anyway best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    I hope you guys can stick with it! I quit smoking on Oct. 25, 1986..the day my son was born. I had lost a daughter prior to his birth (premature birth) her lungs had not formed enough to function, we were told they were at that point as thin as tissue paper. When they applied oxygen it more or less blew them apart So when Chris was born I remember looking at him in the almost same condition (premature) thinking why am I ruining my lungs when my kids have none and making a plea to God. "I promise I will never smoke again if you would please spare this child". My mom and aunt both quit the same day and none of us have ever smoked again. I kept my promise and God made Chris healthy...he just got done with his Sr. year of football, they were Regional champs, he was a starting offensive guard, picked all conference offensive lineman and was looked at by a couple of colleges. (Oops can you tell I'm proud)
    Anyway best of luck to you!
    Congrats, Steve.

And you have every reason to be "PROUD".
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Chris,

Hang in there; this is such an important thing you're doing. It's certainly worth the effort of fighting off the temptation, the frequent urge and just the habit of lighting up. I don't smoke, nor does anyone in my immediate family, but smoking recently touched our lives in a real way. I went to the funeral of my sister-in-law's (my brother's wife) Dad, Danny, just eleven days before this thread was started. He was only 52 years old. He had smoked all of his life since his teenage years. He was diagnosed with cancer in the summer (lung cancer which had also spread to the brain).

After his diagnosis, he wanted to tell everyone he could about the ravages of smoking and encourage them to quit. I am compelled to do just that on Danny's behalf by posting this response. Through prayer, his strong desire to be there, and God's mercy, he lived long enough to see his newest grandson, but passed away just 8 days later.

Keep looking at that granddaughter as encouragement and incentive. In fact, you might want to go one step further by cutting you a block of wood (maybe balsa so it will be lightweight) the dimensions of a pack of cigarettes with your granddaughter's picture attached to it and carrying it in whatever pocket was formerly reserved for your cigarettes. When you get that strong desire, pull out your "pack," look at your granddaughter closely, and determine each time: "Nah, I think not!"

I wish you the best and pray that God will give you strength to overcome the habit. Persevere my friend!

Mike

Thanks again everyone! I am making it through the day!

Also,

Mike, the idea of a balsa wood pack of smokes with a picture of "My girl" on it is a great idea! I think that should be part of every "quiting smokin" efforts!

Thanks again everyone, your encouragment is helping a lot!

Chris

Keep at it It's tough to quit smoking, and unfortunately you will keep getting urges to smoke, probably forever. My mom quit smoking many years ago and she still misses it when she drinks coffee. For now just look at your routines and try to avoid the ones that included smoking. Watch for the triggers that made you want to smoke. Hold strong, we are all behind you
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Keep it going, Chris...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...