Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Anyone?

Coffee Anyone?

Doug Fries is the coolest human. Sorry, for those of you who thought that YOU were the coolest human....no deal. It's settled...Doug Fries is the coolest human.

Because of that Black Bean Resin Vase thing that I did a while back, and the prodding by DD that "Coffee Must Be Next!!"...Doug took it upon himself to send me 5 pounds of roasted coffee beans. These beans are beyond their expiration date....but great for turning.
    But, to be honest, I intend to take some to work tomorrow and put them in the coffee maker I have in my office (built-in grinder...no paper filters)....Ya know...just to say I did.

Thanks Doug!!! The selected piece is on the bag. The design? I ain't tellin'
    DSC_0008.JPGDSC_0009.jpg
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Now don't be brewin' up that java, Mr Hart. Those beans are for a higher purpose! I do wish he had sent you something a bit more exotic, maybe a nice Brazil Estate or a Finca Candelaria from Guatemala. But then you not be able to resist drinking it all up and we would never get to see the inspiration...
    David DeCristoforo

Well this will be interesting! Let me know how the coffee tastes tomorrow!

Looking forward to seeing the results of your coffee creation!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Who were the 2nd and 3rd place finishers in the coolest human contest? Prizes?

Looking forward to seeing the coffee bean creation... That vase roughout is a perfect choice since it's got that weird black stain near the bottom(better seen in other thread). Cool!

That vase is an oops. I went very thin near the bottom while hollowing and could hear a problem approaching. So I thought I could just line the inside with resin and that would strengthen it up a bit. Unfortunately, I tinted the resin black and it soaked through the wood, giving me that black stain band. Looks awful....but it's really strong!! Anyway, I liked the form so I didn't toss it..

The "theme" of this next project is a secret, but now I'm working on the exact colors and procedural steps in my head. I'll probably get started tonight or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller
    Who were the 2nd and 3rd place finishers in the coolest human contest? Prizes?
    You are in 3rd place, David. Sorry....you got beat out by my mother. The prize? My undying admiration.
    ~john

How do you secure a coffee bean on the lathe? Between centers or in a 4 jaw chuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    How do you secure a coffee bean on the lathe? Between centers or in a 4 jaw chuck!
    Hey!! that gives me an idea!!
    ~john

gets pretty bad when the wife ask "what are you looking for" Oh just things to put on the lathe.....lol
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    You are in 3rd place, David. Sorry....you got beat out by my mother. The prize? My undying admiration.
    How is it that Doug, your mother, and I were the only three to get our applications in on time?

John, Pretty soon you will be inundated with nuts, beans, acorns and a plethora of bits and pieces to be tried in the "Resin conglomerate collection" Maybe I can send you some soybeans and field corn for your next installment!!

Have fun,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

How about some pine cones? we have plenty here in Good ole Texas. Max

And I was about to send you some Jamaican Blue Mountain beans. Oh well, looks like you're set already.

If you would have just said "Doug is the coolest human" I would have felt much better about myself. But you had to go and throw out the last name too. Now I'm back to feeling like the regular Joe that I've always been. Hey speaking of which, can I get a cup of Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    How is it that Doug, your mother, and I were the only three to get our applications in on time?
    If there's only one consistent lesson I've learned over and over and over throughout my life, is that "Timing is Everything"
    .....'course then...that's not always a good thing.

You guys are getting me all hot and bothered!! (in a good way )

I am interested in incorporating any natural items into a turning. I might be a goofball, but I'm kind of a nature-loving goofball.

Hey Harvey! why don't you take a close-up picture of a pine cone. I'd like to see the character in one. I have an idea that might be interesting....I ain't saying what, but it has to do with cats.

Jeff, if you think about it, corn would have lot's of cool character!!

Oh...and Karl, I don't say anything!!! I just take stuff. If someone asks, I just shrug my shoulders, walk out of the room, and mumble something like, "I pay for all this junk...I'll take whatever I want"

Doug...I think you can be the coolest human too. You have the right name. Don't change your name to Joe though.

Oh...and by the way....The coffee tastes great!!! Maybe not as great as what the DeCristoforo's might brew up at Natural Food Works/Farmer's Kitchen Cafe but I think it's a nice warm dark flavor, and it filled the department with a wonderful aroma. Just had my first cup. I used about 3 ounces out of that 80 ounce bag. I figure I have enough beans left for about 10 or 15 turnings!! So yep, Bob, I think I'm set for a while...but thanks for the thought!!!
    ~john

John, I was on the road for a few days so I`m just reading your post now.. I'm glad to hear you received the goods. Coolest human.....wow I`m honored, I thought It might be a bit tougher to earn such a title.

I can see it now, A nice HF covered in Coffee beans, then a matching set of coffee mugs, next a set of cream & sugar pitchers, and for a grand finale...A new surface on your workbench.

Hope you have some fun with the beans.