Thread: Cribbage Board Question

Question Cribbage Board Question

Hi Everyone,

To those of you that make or have made cribbage boards the question is how do you store the pegs? I have a request from a client for a single layer board that must contain a peg storage area. They are not concerned about storage for the cards. All replies and comments are welcome.

Thanks .... Frank
    Epilog Helix 35W, Corel Draw 12

Blog Entries
    I've only ever helped make one. On the back side I cut a recess large enough to store the pegs and made a cover with dovetailed sides that slides in.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This is an interesting question. I've been thinking about making a cribbage board for quite a while now, just haven't gotten around to coming up with a design yet. If there's anyone out there who has made one and could post pictures and/or tips it would be much appreciated!

This is the way I have always seen it done but, depending on how big/thick it is, it might not be convenient to turn it over (As a kid, I played on one that was a coffee table). If the board is thick enough, you could route a recess in the side and make a little drawer. Lots of creative possibilities.

Frank, What I remember as a kid when my dad made them for sale was that he drilled a hole in the end of the board. I don't remember what he used for a plug but I'm sure it was a hole, maybe 3/8" in the end.

Meisel sells some cribbage board templates that I have used in the past. They are 10 gauge steel and allow perfectly spaced holes. I drill all the holes and then take a light planer pass to clean the surface up nicely.
    http://www.meiselwoodhobby.com/Produ....aspx?id=12643

For peg storage I drill a 3/8" hole in the edge and either turn a stopper w/lanyard or use a rubber plug.

Happy drilling!

How about this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

8. Kind of late to the game, but I've been doing this on mine (3 so far):

I have been drilling/tapping 5/8" stainless with a 1/2-13 thread using a lathe at work and then turning down a 1/2-13 bolt to make the plug. I like the look. I'm still thinking this through as I don't like the sliders (I don't see them as long-term robust, but could be wrong) and don't necessarily like things that protrude out like mine does. I stole the idea from this guy: http://www.customcribbage.com/. I've been thinking of a door in the side with a small hinge and a finger indentation that would hold with small embedded rare earth magnets. I'll post a picture if I ever make one like that!