Thread: Which 24” leigh jig to buy?

Which 24” leigh jig to buy?

I’m keeping my eyes out for a good deal on a used leigh dovetail jig. The problem is that there are 4 different 24” models out there: Super 24, D4R Pro, D4R (no longer in production), D4 (no longer in production). I have compared the various models on the leigh website but don’t see any huge differences. They all handle the same size stock, they all d0 variable spaced half blind and through dovetails. It seems the main differences are in the construction and some of the other joint options.

So for someone whose primary focus is to do variable spaced dovetails will any of this models do, or is there one I should always avoid? I have a sickness of wanting to have the latest model all the time, but is that really necessary?

Thanks!
    Not allowed

Blog Entries
    Not many replies so far and I really can't answer your question. I recently purchased a used D1258 jig and the website says to use the DR4 manual. I think there are mostly cosmetic changes and some ergonomic alterations but I'm not sure there are significant functional changes. I'm referring to color coded alignment scales and cam-lever clamps instead of knobs. I'm pretty sure the D4, D4R, and D4R Pro are pretty much the same. The Super 24 may have some optional features that are not on the others but I'm just not sure.

You won't go wrong with any of them if the price is right. Each of the D4 models are just newer versions of the same jig, but beginning with the D4R they have upgraded clamping and some other changes to make the jig easier to manufacture. The D4R Pro is a re-badged D4R to further differentiate it from the new lower priced "Super" versions. If you have $$, buy a new D4R Pro. If not, look for a used D4 or newer. Newer is always better, (and shinier), if you can afford it. They will all make great dovetails.

Charley

And if you can't find a Leigh jig, you might take a look at the Akeda jig. There was some connection between the companies in the past; same designer or engineer? Anyhow I sold my Leigh after I demo'd the Akeda 24". In my opinion it is a much more friendly jig to use and therefore faster. I use my Akeda much more often because it doesn't take as long to get set up and going on a new project. I'd guess 1/4th the time.

Good luck,

Scott in Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    You won't go wrong with any of them if the price is right. Each of the D4 models are just newer versions of the same jig, but beginning with the D4R they have upgraded clamping and some other changes to make the jig easier to manufacture. The D4R Pro is a re-badged D4R to further differentiate it from the new lower priced "Super" versions. If you have $$, buy a new D4R Pro. If not, look for a used D4 or newer. Newer is always better, (and shinier), if you can afford it. They will all make great dovetails.

Charley
    I agree with Charley. I have owned the the older 24" Leigh jigs & they are very nice. The older ones can be upgraded to a D4 model. I now have a D4R. I like it a lot more than the older models. I like the fixed stops & the better clamping of the wood part
    I have not used any of the Super models. Current templates will work with any of the older 24" D4, D3 or 1258 models.

I also have the D4R and am very happy with it. It is very flexible and makes great variable spaced dovetails.

Derek,

I love your sickness! because I seem to have a similar affliction Now to the business of a Leigh dovetail jig:

1. You are correct, they seem to do the same thing, with very similar features. They do, and do it well.
    2. However, I now have the D4R Pro, and can report that this newest jig, although in essence a D4R, is capable of doing more than the D4R. For it can now do two sizes of finger joints, without the need for the F3 finger joint template. Here is the first set I did shortly after taking out of the box:
    3. d4r-finger-joints-small.JPG
    4. Of course, you can still machine ALL the dovetails you can with the other jigs.
    5. AND you now make single-pass blind dovetails with it!

It is interesting how we kick ourselves on our behind when we do not get what we know we want, and compromise instead.

Disclosure: Leigh is a sponsor of my blog. But I love the Leigh jigs, and owned them for many years before they became my sponsor.

-- Al

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Voigt View Post
    I’m keeping my eyes out for a good deal on a used leigh dovetail jig. The problem is that there are 4 different 24” models out there: Super 24, D4R Pro, D4R (no longer in production), D4 (no longer in production). I have compared the various models on the leigh website but don’t see any huge differences. They all handle the same size stock, they all d0 variable spaced half blind and through dovetails. It seems the main differences are in the construction and some of the other joint options.

So for someone whose primary focus is to do variable spaced dovetails will any of this models do, or is there one I should always avoid? I have a sickness of wanting to have the latest model all the time, but is that really necessary?

Thanks!
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

I have a D4R and I have used the D4. The only difference was in the clamps. You cannot go wrong.

FWIW only. I am a new and happy user of the D4R Pro and have not used other versions. I am working with 24" panels and find that the built in stop on the left side and the quick clamps on the front clamping bar are quite absolutely critical (for me.) The left hand stop allows me to slam the panel against it while I maneuver the panel into the clamps and up against the fingers. 4/4 panels of that size are heavy for an older person like me. The clamps make it easy and quick to get that panel set once positioned.

I have a D4 and added the VRS system for chip collection - no desire to upgrade.

That makes a terrific pair, Jim. I remember the day I got my D4 - maybe 7 years ago.

I was so exited to have the D4, I just started cutting dovetails, and playing with the jig, to get to know its ins and outs. Long story short: The first time I remember looking around me, I was buried in chips to my knees. I am not kidding.

Five minutes later I had placed a call to order the dust collector for it. The current VRS is even better - I consider it a must-have.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    FWIW only. I am a new and happy user of the D4R Pro and have not used other versions. I am working with 24" panels and find that the built in stop on the left side and the quick clamps on the front clamping bar are quite absolutely critical (for me.) The left hand stop allows me to slam the panel against it while I maneuver the panel into the clamps and up against the fingers. 4/4 panels of that size are heavy for an older person like me. The clamps make it easy and quick to get that panel set once positioned.
    Does the older D4 not have this stop? I would think it would have something to help align the work piece.

The single-pass blind dovetails is when you have both pieces on the jig and cut the pins and tails at the same time right? That option is only on the D4R PRO?
    Not allowed

The D4 has stops both left and right - they just are not integral, as on the D4R and D4R Pro. On half-blind dovetails: All of the Super Jigs can do them; and they also can be adjusted to give variable spacing. You might want to look at the features here.

Al
    Al