Thread: Help with Fireplace surround design

Help with Fireplace surround design

There were new threads posted today on both bookshelf depth and built in vs free standing storage which I've interpreted as my karma telling me it's time to get serious about a project I've had in the back of my head for a while. I have a fireplace that is smack dab in the middle of a wall about sixteen feet long and built in flush to that wall. On either side there are short (12") partial walls (which were originally actual walls but were removed to make a larger, more open living space). I've wanted to unite the two loves of my life, woodworking and literature, and build in a half wall height bookshelf with a full length mantle defining the top. My first issue is that the LOML insists it will look 'ugly as sin' if the bookshelfs protrude out from the wall leaving the fireplace inset. Now I understand that there will be some code requirements pertaining to distance from the firebox needing fireproof materials etc, but I think it could actually end up being attractive. Unfortunately, I have not been able to come up with pictures or other examples to show my wife how attractive this could be. Any help out there with this? Secondly, and this is where you design experts come in, I would really love this to be a permanent testimonial to my skills and design esthetics. However, the only plan I can come up with is a solid (maybe 8/4) top and vertical panels and horizontal shelves to make a grid. Maybe the bottom shelf would be a drawer instead. Sure, I intend it to be made of some spectacular wood, my first thought is black walnut, but that doesn't do much for the design idea. Our house is an older bungalow, so I plan on sticking with and Arts and Crafts style in the furniture etc. Any ideas?

Thanks for any ideas

Peter

Taunton has two books you may be interested in. One is Building fireplace mantels, and the other is from their "Build like a Pro" series Trim carpentry and built ins.

Scott