Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesquite HF

Mesquite HF

Several firsts for me with this mesquite hollow form:
    1) First hollow form outside of a classroom environment (third overall).
    2) First time using my new Kobra hollowing system (love it!).
    3) First piece using Vince's Cera~Max discs (baby smooth).

The form is 6" x 3 3/4" and the finish is two coats of antique oil and Beall buffed. The wood came from my cousin's property in Abilene, Texas and had a little bit of spalting.

I'm completely open to any and all critiques. My own critique is that I didn't do a very good job finishing the curve near the base. I was concerned about stability and left some extra weight in the bottom. I also did a very crummy job smoothing out the interior walls. Any other suggestions on the overall form? With this style, should the foot be smaller, larger or the same size as the opening? Thanks for your input.

Moffpix_110601_0009_low_res.jpg

Very nice Jeff. Exceptional wood! Other than refining the base a bit it looks great. The upturned area around the mouth may not be the norm for this shape, but the whole package is very pretty!

It's beautiful wood, Jeff, and I think you've done a heck of a job with this form. I agree with your ideas about rounding the foot to give the piece some lift, but I think the size of the base is fine. It's not a true profile pic, but the widest point of the form seems just a tiny bit high for my taste. The inside smoothing and consistent wall thickness are things that come with practice. You've got ever right to be completely impressed with yourself for this piece... I think it looks great! I can't wait to see the next one.

Jeff
    Nice Vase, I think you did a excellent job for the number of hollow forms you've done and using a new tool. The shape is really good I would make the foot a little smaller maybe 1/2" total. But thats just my eye. but over all you did great.

WOW, I've never seen spalted mesquite....and I ogle mesquite every chance I get. That's a really nice piece! I'd go with your own critique on a little smaller base, and perhaps round the edge so it doesn't look "glued" to the table (somebody famous said that I think). You're really in the ball park here and you know where you let up, so carry on, and turn the next one like it might be the only example of your work they'll ever see! Thanks for posting.
    mj

All in all I would say a great effort on a superb piece of wood. I would not be too critical seeing that its your 3rd go at a HF
    neil

The wooden Potter

very nice....

Nicely done Jeff!! Great wood and a great form. I wouldn't worry about smoothing the inside too much. Keith Burns and I were talking about this very thing the other day, and when you get right down to it, collectors prefer the interior walls to show the ridges left by the tools (shows that it is hand-made) and secondly, you are risking a blow-up for something that no one really cares about. The first thing a person does is stick their finger in the hole...the second thing they do is turn it over and look at the bottom. Smooth to the depth of a finger...and make a nice foot, and you are rockin'.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Very nice Jeff. I've never done a HF like that before. Really I've only done one HF period. I don't have the proper tools for that. Yours looks to be right on key and to me the form looks great. The spalting adds to the piece.

That is one pretty hunk o' wood!
    I agree with others about the foot, and with what David K. said about the wide part being just a skinch too high. If you'd like to send that to me for a close-up critique for say, oh, a couple of years, I'd be more than happy to pay shipping...........

Thanks for sharing. Third HF or hundred and third, it's still very nice.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Jeff, this is an exceptional piece! Very well done, and some outstanding and unusual wood, too. I think the angle of the pic is making the shoulder appear a little high, and personal tastes apply to most of the other comments. For me, a little smaller base, and not quite as much upsweep to the throat. But, again, those are more "what do YOU like" comments. Just a very well done turning!! And, try to get all of that wood you can!!!

Hi Jeff, thanks for posting. I think as the others do about the base, but it really is no big deal.It would take very little to put back on the lathe and tuck that base under by just a hair. I disagree with them about the neck, I think it gives the rather plain shape a little boost. Your wood gorgeous as everyone has said. A pretty nice job for early ones in your career!

Thanks, everyone! I greatly appreciate the feedback. Are there any design rules regarding the relationship between the size of the opening and the size of the foot?

Jeff, nothing wrong with that one. Shape is pleasing and the wood is great. Wonderful job.

I think the form is fine and the wood is terrific. Nicely done, Jeff.