Thread: Ridgid oscillating sander problems

Ridgid oscillating sander problems

About 3 years ago my wife and daughter bought me the Model EB4424. Even though it was the less used machine in my shop I liked it. Especialty the versatility of it. The last 2 or 3 times I used it I noticed it was vibrating worse than normal... Yesterday it starts having a hard time starting. So I started checking it out and found it had played in the top (or front) bearing. Being who I am I decided to disassemble it and see what kind of bearings it needed. It was a chore to get this thing apart. Wrong! This machine advertises that it is a ball bearing machine. It has 1 very tiny ball bearing in the bottom, and near as I can describe a hay bailer bushing in the top (or front) this top bearing is supposed to be lubed by felt pieces (saturated with oil) in the front motor plate. Mine didn’t seem to be getting very much lube. The manual says no lubing is necessary. Knowing what I know now I would lube it. The biggest problem is I can’t find parts for the motor drive assembly, seems these were not meant to be repaired. Found the whole drive assembly for 263.00. Can get the whole machine for only 199.00. The jury is still out on buying another one. Nothing else I know of has both features
    I’ll call Ridgid tomorrow and see if they can ship the parts.
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doesn't the lifetime service agreement cover anything?

Paul, I too have one, bought about 5 years ago. It has been a workhorse in my shop and would not take for it. Think if it goes out I will let it RIP and get a new one, considering the abuse it has taken from me. Good machine.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I have been looking at one of those myself. Glad to hear some type of feedback. I understand a business has to make money but come on dont mess with woodworkers....
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Never had a prob w/ mine, but good to know of your experience should I begin to see same. Keep us posted about repairs.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Why don't you just replace the bushing if it has excessive slop? Go to an electric motor repair shop and see if they can help. Another possibility would be a bearing supply house such as Motion Industries or Bearing Headquarters.

IIRC they switched the bushing to a ball bearing a few years ago

I thought rigid had a lifetime warranty from HD.

The Ridgid (with a "D") power tools sold at Home Depot often have a "Lifetime Service Agreement," which they are careful to distinguish from a warranty. To get lifetime repairs for your tool you have to register for it within 90 days of purchase. There are a few exclusions and things that might not fly under some laws as a warranty, such as the exclusion of battery chargers from the service agreement (from what I've read).

If this is an older model, it may predate the lifetime service agreement era. I have heard some older tools came with it that did not require filing any paperwork.

If the OP still has the warranty information, it might be worth a look. He already ripped the machine apart, which never goes over well when seeking warranty-type service.

Even after reading this thread, I bought the 4424 since it seems to work and is portable - i.e., I can put it on a shelf at night so my wife's car can park in 'my shop' at night. Naturally, it is not old enough to have bearing problems, but the sanding sleeve on the large spindle kept riding up. I put a large fender washer under the wingnut and it has not given any more problems.
    Forrest

A washer should have come with the machine.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    A washer should have come with the machine.
    Correct. It comes with a set of washers; one specific to different drums. The manual identifies these.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler