Thread: Wooden step ladders - how to refurbish and reinforce?

Wooden step ladders - how to refurbish and reinforce?

Are their good ways to refurbish and reinforce wooden step ladders? I don't mean antique step ladders, I mean mass-produced ladders that are 10 or 15 years old with none of the wood cracked.

The big box hardware stores in my area no longer carry wooden step ladders. (The fiberglass and metal step ladders may be better than wooden ones, but I've never tried them.) Some of the step ladders that I have are getting wobbly, but none of the wood is cracked. I've tightened the threaded rods, but something further needs to be done.

I thought about using angle brackets and screws. However, I suspect that if this was a good way to reinforce a wooden ladder, they would be made that way in the first place. I worry that screws and a rigid brace would crack the wood as the ladder is used.

In addition to snugging up the threaded rods, you might tighten the rivets on the braces that are attached to each step, the one that the threaded rod runs through. Just use a hammer and something solid to back up the rivet as you tighten each one. Also tighten the rivets that attach the top step to the rails. Aw heck, just tighten up all the rivets on your ladder. That'll get you by for a while.

Joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Blog Entries
    Do yourself a safety favor and get a new ladder. Wobbly ladders lead to falls and potentially injuries. A new ladder will cost less than that visit to the emergency room. Work safe.

I have one of those multifunction adjustable ladders like you see on television and it is great. It works well as either a step ladder or extension ladder. No wobbling either.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-03-2011 at 8:21 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm with Lee on this, growing up with nothing but wooden step ladders and wooden extension ladders, I learned they are heavy and once they get wobbly...time to move on. Do yourself a favor and look into a multi-function ladder. Lighter, stronger, safer.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

My Big 340lb Rear won't ever step a foot on a Wooden Ladder.

Ray

My dad has an old wobbly wooden ladder. During his kitchen remodel last year, one of the carpenters suggested he throw it in the pool for a while - the wood would swell and tighten everything up. He didn't do that but I wonder if anyone else has heard about that "fix"?

I wouldn't throw it in the pool,

I'd throw it on a bonfire.

Bill

When I worked in construction many years before fiberglass ladders, we tightened the wooden ladders on a regular basis. Oiled them about every two years and they lasted for a good many years with everyday use. Did the same with wooden extension ladders.( double 16' and double 20') Some were still safe after 15 years of everyday use. Today I would use, and do have, fiberglass ladders though. (never aluminum)
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    When I worked in construction many years before fiberglass ladders, we tightened the wooden ladders on a regular basis. Oiled them about every two years and they lasted for a good many years with everyday use. Did the same with wooden extension ladders.( double 16' and double 20') Some were still safe after 15 years of everyday use. Today I would use, and do have, fiberglass ladders though. (never aluminum)
    Why not aluminum? Is it because they are conductive?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Why not aluminum? Is it because they are conductive?

Mike
    Partialy , yes but, if you get an alum. ladder strong enough to be used on a daily basis it is as heavy as a wooden one. This is espicialy true of long extension ladders.
    I spent 40 years up and down ladders so I have tried them all. I do not even think Alum ladders are OSHA apporved. I know we never used them on heavy industrial construction.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    I wouldn't throw it in the pool,

I'd throw it on a bonfire.

Bill
    Seriously LOL, I love that! My father was an electrician, he liked to use Lynn wooden ladders for most residential inside work. Man, they got loose over time, but it taught you balance! When he retired a few years ago and moved, he wanted advice on how to tighten up the old ladders to work on the new house. My advice? Place them in the 40 yard over night and call for pick up, then go down to the supply yard and get an appropriate fiberglass model that I would be happy to inherit someday! It will save him a fortune in hip replacements from ladder falls! I love functional things made of wood, but all my ladders are either fiberglass or aluminum.

This will make a great storage rack for small pieces of lumber stock (cut-off's) and odd length pieces that are too good to throw away and in need of a storage place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Partialy , yes but, if you get an alum. ladder strong enough to be used on a daily basis it is as heavy as a wooden one. This is espicialy true of long extension ladders.
    I spent 40 years up and down ladders so I have tried them all. I do not even think Alum ladders are OSHA apporved. I know we never used them on heavy industrial construction.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RKB4

http://www.amazon.com/Werner-D1520-2...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

The two links show comparable Type IA ladders--one fiberglass, one aluminum from the same company, same length. The shipping weight on the fiberglass is 3 pounds more than the aluminum. Not to mention, an inadvertent impact to a fiberglass ladder (common on construction sites...) can destroy it due to the way fiberglass fails. It might put a dent in the aluminum.

I have a 28' aluminum Type IA that has been outside for about 99% of the last 14 years, and it's just fine other than the rope needs to be replaced. I can't imagine what the resin in the fiberglass would be like after that time.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore