Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some old technology

some old technology

DigitalCNC 6.jpgDigitalCNC 1.jpg DigitalCNC 3.jpg DigitalCNC 5.jpgDigitalCNC 7.jpg DigitalCNC 2.jpg

this popped up on the radar yesterday (thanks angie) and i made the trip this am, purchased a digital tool cnc 20' long and 5' wide

it is a tank, to say the least. digital was a forerunner in smallercnc machines (probably way ahead of its time in the 90s. i will be retrofiting this to produce work at a larger scale and many of you know how much i have missed having another machine since i sold the 408, camaster will help with the retro fit

to those considering thier first cnc

"DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME"

So, how do you properly level all those legs?

John

Now that's a BALLSCREW on the gantry!
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Dang!
    James you're a glutton for punishment. It'll take a while to get that out of the mothballs...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

You gonna sell any of those spindles...or other parts?
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

gonna crank it up first ! might consider one spindle as i will put on a drill bank

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    gonna crank it up first ! might consider one spindle as i will put on a drill bank
    ok so i get first crack at the spindle
    Vector Studio 22

as soon as you bring cabo to me as well!!

hang i might just deliver it

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    as soon as you bring cabo to me as well!!

hang i might just deliver it
    We got a great place you can stay...5 min walk from the beach
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vector Studio 22

Nice find, I'm a bit jealous as this type of opportunity never seems to present itself in my area.

I know what you mean. In my case, I heard about it after the fact. Guy I know works for a machine dealer, and he told me about a couple of used 4x4 routers they just tossed in the dumpster because no one would buy them even though they'd had 'em for years...

Man I was bummed. I'd have taken both of them off their hands...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

in the way of big machines i get auction notices everyday, all heavy iron with biggggg power needs, i saw this knew exactly what it was and went for it as i do understand the machine and it uses wincnc (will need serious upgrade) we have already started preping to recieve it

This machine was meant for Jim, as he has redone one in the past...not to mention that not many people have room for a 22 foot long machine. And I would guess he will use a laser to level it.

Angie

14. It seams that you have to always be poking around. I was not happy with my shop vac vacuum system and was always looking. I happened to find a pair of 7.5 hp vain pumps. Turns out they were at one of my suppliers and had been sitting there for a few years i asked the guys what they wanted and got both for 2k. Have to put some money into them to get them working but still a great deal.
    Keep your eyes and ear open and have some cash sitting around for when the deal shows.

Hey James,
    My 1st CNC was a Digital Tool 904 or 905. Had a 5x10 bed and a 7.5 perske with a Dayton drill head. Believe it or not I made money with it cutting at 200IPM. Within 6 months I maxed the machine out at 300 IPM (it would lock up sometimes if I cut at 400IPM). Had to disassemble entire table and resurface ends to bring it to proper level and squareness but it made enough to buy our 1st New Thermwood paid in full.

Make sure you have plenty of the INA bearings and maybe change the limit switches to proximity switches.

Gene, I have a reconditioned Perske 7.5 hp spindle if you are interested. I bought a spare when the original one failed and had it sent out to be rebuilt.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=