Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banksia pod toothpick holder

Banksia pod toothpick holder

More catchup on stuff I've done recently but just finally got around to taking pics of.

If you haven't made these, they're pretty easy to make on a basic level...but you can get fancy too. This is on the 'fancy' side, but Most of these I've made for family/friends have been out of basic materials like maple or walnut.

Banksia with African Blackwood and a Betel nut knob. (don't ask me what wood the toothpicks are!)

Oh, tough to see...but the inside is lined with thinwall acrylic tubing to keep the toothpics from catching on the side during removal.

I have WAY too many hours in this little thing to be able to break even for what I'd get for it...so it's probably a keeper.

C&C welcome.

tpick1.JPGtpick2.JPG
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

That's a really good looking toothpick holder. Hope you don't mind my stealing your desingn, it would look real good on my dining room table.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Now thats different and I like it, time and cost are always the factors that change a good idea into a one of a kind. Very nice piece from a banksia pod.

very nice. I have made these before, but never from a banksia pod. Very innovative.

Now that's pretty cool! Was wondering how you kept the toothpicks from getting caught until I read about the acrylic tubing! Good idea!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

This is very cool!!! I just turned my first pod this past month, a xmas ornament, I havnt posted it yet but will soon. But this is a very cool use of a pod, I have some left...may have to think about useing your design, well done! Where did you get the tube to go inside of this?
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

This i the mot interesting of these holders I've yet seen. Very nice.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    Banksia with African Blackwood and a Betel nut knob. (don't ask me what wood the toothpicks are!)
    Birch for the toothpick?

Had never heard of Betel nut... where did you get it?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

9. I want to know how long it took you to turn the toothpicks!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I think it's just a super little turning. Love everything about it!

Thanks for comments and feedback. These are hard not to like compared to cold stainless versions I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilson66 View Post
    That's a really good looking toothpick holder. Hope you don't mind my stealing your desingn, it would look real good on my dining room table.
    Mind...of course I don't mind. It's not my original idea either. I got it from a fellow woodturner who I believe got it from someone else also. It was one of our club demos...so fair game for usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thiebaut View Post
    This is very cool!!! I just turned my first pod this past month, a xmas ornament, I havnt posted it yet but will soon. But this is a very cool use of a pod, I have some left...may have to think about useing your design, well done! Where did you get the tube to go inside of this?
    The tube I got from US Plastics. You buy it in 6 foot lengths, but their shipping and prices are very reasonable. I bough 3 different sizes tubing and I think my bill came to about 30 bucks or so incl shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Birch for the toothpick?

Had never heard of Betel nut... where did you get it?
    The Betel nut is a palm seed native to tropical Pacific countries. If you do a search, you'll see pics of people with black teeth who chew on this stuff for its "calming" effect. It really does turn nice, kind of like palm ivory if you've ever turned it. A friend of mine bought a bag of ebay I think...and no, he doesn't have black teeth. We've used them mostly for knobs and such on small items. They are not much bigger than about 3/4 diameter round to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I want to know how long it took you to turn the toothpicks!
    Hey...that's the hardest part. I think I may need to invest in a duplicator to make that part easier.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Very nice...I like it!

Tim, not sure how I missed this one! Great combination of colors and textures - and, I like the sweeping curve of the form. You have succesfully made an art piece from a utilitarian and very functional item. The size is quite deceptive until one sees the toothpicks.

We used to have a Banksia growing in our yard in New Zealand, but it never occurred to me that the pods were of any use other than for the floral art my wife did. I certainly never thought of using them for turning!

Tim this is totally cool. Very clever and very nicely done. Thanks for posting