Thread: Table saw alignment

Table saw alignment

I have a Delta/Rockwell contractors table saw 34-440. I can't get the blade parallel to the miter slot. I removed the PAL alignment system to get more room. The best I get is .015" off. Then the slots max out. I even bored the rear trunnion slots out further. I cant remove any more. I bought this saw used. It was hauled around to job sites years ago. Some of the sheet metal cabinet was re-welded. Also the original base was replaced. Could it have been dropped and caused something to be bent? I asked the owner but he said no the base was just flimsy that is why he replaced it. The owner also bored out one of the front trunnion bolt an put a sleeve for a pivot point. Should I take the whole trunnion out to see what he did? Another thing is the motor was upgraded. Could that have put too much stress on the trunnion? I don't know what to do.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    That saw may have 4 bolt positions, some have 5. At any rate, have you loosened all bolts and slid the trunnions to one extreme and the other, snugged one corner as a pivot point and tried adjusting from there? You would need to try this from each extreme starting point to assure yourself that the trunnion cannot be adjusted within it's current range. The PALs assume you use one front corner or the other as the pivot point; be sure to try both if it will not align from the first one.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    The owner also bored out one of the front trunnion bolt an put a sleeve for a pivot point.
    This sounds like it may be a problem. If he made one pivot point that doesn't let you get to the correct alignment, that would cause your problem. If I understand what this is, you may be able to get the play you need by removing that bolt and sleeve, then replacing the bolt.

Bryan,

Have you seen the delta instructions for aligning the tie-bars? There is an instruction sheet here.

Jim

Thanks guys! The sleeve won't come out without taking the trunnion out. It is on the front trunnion. Any advice on removing the whole trunnion assembly? Or is there an easier way? The sleeve pivot point is preventing the front trunnions from moving I think that is the problem.
    Last edited by Bryan Cramer; 06-04-2011 at 10:22 AM.

That saw has 4 trunion bolts. The trunion bolt on the front right of the saw is hard to get at. You will need a socket extension and a fexible connector. Some people do not loosen that one while adjusting the blade. It's a mistake as it puts more pressure on the rear trunion. Sounds as though you may have to take half of the saw apart as the previous owner made a number of modifications for whatever reson he made them in the first place. Let us know how it works out.