Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion - Tool you would not purchase again.

Discussion - Tool you would not purchase again.

We had a pretty good discussion a week ago about your favorite tool recently purchased. Let's try the opposite.

My least favorite tool is a Crown (Non-PM, brown handle) 3/4" bowl gouge. It's too large to fit into my Varigrind jig and it's so nose heavy I have a hard time controlling it on the insides of bowls.

It also happens to be a tool that I didn't order. I ordered a 1/2" Crown Pro PM gouge from an online vendor and they were out of stock. Stupidly I agreed to accept the 3/4" as a substitute (thinking they meant the 3/4" Pro-PM, not the regular HSS - not that it would make a huge difference in my complaints above).

Which of your tools would you not purchase again?

Jason

In a multi-tool purchase of used tools, I ended up with three P&N bowl gouges - I think 6mm, 9mm and 12mm. While I like the gouges themselves, and the metal seems good, the sizes are just too small for me. I can do almost all detail gouge work with the 1/2" Thompson V, and if I am doing any bead work or other detailing, I use detail spindle gouges. So, while good tools, they just sit in my rack taking up space. I did make some nice handles for them, though, so they look good in the rack - and, that has to be worth something?!??!?

My pick would be one of my reversible curved bowl rests. Way too flimsy out on the end, so I welded a gusset under it, a la Robust. Really irked me. It still irks me. I really like my straight rest by this same maker, but the curved one certainly didn't meet my expectations or my needs. Might as well have just given the money away. Did I say I was irked?

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Sorby Spindle Masters. Just too flimsy to be used as a serious turning tool. Should have been made with half round stock. I would not get the deep V gouge from Glaser. I have it and another one from Sweezey (now D way tools) that has the same deep V profile. I just never learned to use it properly, or it and I just clash.

robo hippy

My lathe, it has cost me a fortune to build a shop for it and get all the accessories one just can't live without. The vortex seems to have no bottom Just kidding, I wouldn't want to be without my lathe, the tool I have been most disappointed with is my Sorby 1" extra heavy bowl scrapper. It is so magnetic that I can't slide it across the rest without it feeling like it is sticking. Makes for a poor finial cut. Some day I will find someone that can demagnetize it. Until than I will use my regular 1" round nose scrapper.
    Turn Safe,
    Jack

I have three lathes, the very first one that sucked me in was an old harbor frieght 14x43. It is a bad lathe, you cant get it tuned up or should I say zero'd in. (the head and the tail). but it did get me going and got me to buy a rikon and a jet which I use both. All is not real bad though I am going to use the hf lathe as a buffing station. It does turn good spindles for the people that partake of alcoholic spirits..
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

My 7" bench grinder. Great grinder. It is a Baldor but 7" wheels are uncommon. I would buy a Jet 8" and probably will sooner or later.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mincey View Post
    It is so magnetic that I can't slide it across the rest without it feeling like it is sticking. Jack
    Have you tried banging it on the tool rest or banging the edge (not the cutting edge of course) with a hammer. As you bang it more and more it should demagnatize it some.

Sorby spindle sizer. You know, insert parting tool in one side and cut till the other side falls thru. Totally inpractical. CBalipers work much better. Max

For me, it is a Pro PM spindle gouge (3/8"). I find it hard to sharpen and it doesn't hold an edge very well either. I know lots of people like the Pro PM tools, maybe I got a bad one or maybe it is just me. I have a D-way bowl gouge similiar to the one Robo Hippy dislikes; I love mine.

Sorby mini-tool set & midi-size spindle gouge. My turning is pretty much limited to pens and I thought smaller tool size to match the project size. Wrong....for me, anyway.

My first of everything. First cordless drill, first bandsaw, first lathe, first set of lathe tools, first....tablesaw, clamps, jigsaw, chopsaw.

I have purchased the cheapest tools first...then realized that i should have just got the good ones in the first place.

Faust- I found Norton wheels for my 7" Baldor without much trouble, but it is a non-standard size. I just couldn't pass up the deal when I bought it "lightly" used.

For me, it's the skewchigouge. I can't remember the maker(Taylor?), but it's at least decent steel... I reground mine into a point tool. I can't remember if it was on sale or if I just had a brain fart, but I can't figure out why I ever bought it.

My first set of turning tools, a Sorby starter set. Overpriced and filled with 50% of tools I dont and never really have used. Also contained a "3/8 bowl gouge" which was actually a small spindle gouge, but being a newbie I didn't know that and treated it like a bowl gouge. I had the whole thing extended over the rest and snapped it off the handle. The free blade flew around and gouged out my hand!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------