Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who are you a fan of?

David Lamb for his unique style. Garrett Hack for his execution of various styles.

Blog Entries
    How about Roy Underhill. I for one have learned a bunch from his show... and mayb more importantly that I don't have to have a 100" wide belt sander... :P
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

The logic behind my choices:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary R Katz View Post
    Wow, thanks for showing us Josh Finkle.
    I'm drawn to builders who have methods, and style that differ from my own.

I draw the line at the more inventive pieces that look like a Dr. Seuss creation.

Hard to define what I think is "just enough" before it crosses over to ornamentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

My favorite person however is an old German fellow, long dead now that in his gruff way taught me the difference between utilitarian woodwork and true craftsmanship. I only worked with him for a year, but it was in that formitive time in my 20's when you decide a direction, and what work means to you. Thirty some years later when I do something that is not terrible I think of Gunther and wish I could get his gruff assessment. Its funny, I work to get approval of a man long passed away.

Larry
    Larry:

I couldn't let this go by without saying what a great statement it is. Most of us, or at least the lucky ones, meet someone along the way, usually as you say, early in life, who inspire us in ways that they often never know, but we never forget. And it is not the famous but the unheralded real heroes who are the ones that really count. For me it was a local carpenter/woodworker who went to our church who invited me to spend a day with him in his workshop when I was fourteen. While I was there he showed me how the tools worked and turned me a bat on his lathe. I thought this was a miracle at the time because in my little out of the way Tennessee town, we didn't see this much. Wonderful things like bats were created at some faraway place out of whole cloth by someone a step or two below the deity. At the time I was more interested in baseball than woodworking and I never went back to his shop. But I remembered that day with Mr. Sterling and later in life I discovered Norm and built my shop. But without that one day it might never have happened. I remember Mr Sterling often when I'm in the shop and wish he were here now to see it and give me some pointers.

Nakashima. Use of natural "defects" in wood and transforming them into a focal point. For me, it is an exhibition of how wood has many forms and while it may be cut, planed, etc. to make it look and behave as we want it to, it always has its own personality.

Blog Entries
    Add Garrett Hack to that list.

James Krenov, Sam Maloof, George Nakashima, Norm Abrams, Darrell Peart, Glen Huey, Tage Frid, George Frank, Bob Flexner and Leonard Lee. I've learned something from all of them and, collectively, my meagre composite of skills represents what they've tried to pass on. I suspect each of them would be disappointed but I'm getting better!

Regards,

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Kellison; 06-05-2011 at 4:30 PM.

I have to say that I have long been a fan of my friend and mentor Gene Landon, who passed away last week. Anyone who knew him understands what a loss it is to the woodworking community. The depth of his knowledge was a gift that he passed on selflessly. i for one, will miss his guidance.
    for more see this..
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/38364/eugene-landon

Blog Entries
    Norm.

Watching all those New Yankee Workshop TV shows is what got me wanting to try woodworking.

PHM

David Roentgen

John and Thomas Seymour

Thomas Chippendale Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby O'Neal View Post
    I always wonder how everyone on the board feels about other people's work. I'm a big fan of Thomas Moser pieces and Christian Becksvoort as well.

So, who's work do you enjoy drooling over?
    Ditto Moser and Becksvoort...and add George Nakashima. Most of my furniture design come from those three.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

George Wilson, for obvious reasons.