Thread: A table, just a table

A table, just a table

I frankly enjoy seeing what others do. The pics of work seem to stir a sense of what might bes. So I kinda hope others share my interest in seeing done stuff.

With that caveat, here's a table I did last fall. Maple top and shelf, cherry legs and frame. Finish-four coats of witches brew, three coats of poly-expected abuse use.

Photo quality a bit off, so use your insight. Well, the photo didn't finish, so go down to the next message in the chain. Sorry bou the foul up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GEDunton; 04-17-2003 at 6:46 PM.

Maybe the pic now

This was supposed to be above.

More of same

This is the area of interest, the real wood of the top.

More of the detail

Another shot of the top, but included a wedding cup spun for the couple receiving the table. Cup is mulberry, the ring was spun with it. The strip in the center is cherry to add accent to the top.
    Last edited by GEDunton; 04-17-2003 at 6:43 PM.

By Golly GE,

you're gonna make it yet. Nice table, keep up the good work and pics. So---how long have you been doing the woodworking bit?
    Steve

Thanks Steve

I really don't know how long. It has been an off and on thing for upwards of a half century, but real woodworking, more like 8 years. Have only had the pleasure of a "real Shop" for the past four years. Trying to refine the skills, technique and design aspects to an "acceptable" level right now. Would hope and am working at achieving that plateau, so maybe I can make enough at it to get out of the rat race before I die at my desk. We'll see if I can do it. If not, well I took a stab at it.

Boiled down, I'd say three years of real woodworking.

HI GE, Your table looks great. I too, like seeing what others have made. It gives me inspiration to get going and make something great like you did. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

Very nice

Do you have a photo from a birds eye point of view over the top ? I can't tell exactly what the corner detail looks like, most notibly over the bark inclusion area. It looks almost like some sort of wing is there.

Almost forgot one more question. How far back are the table top supports from the edge. How was it attached ? I would be concerned with the wide top cupping being attached far back from the edge, or warping with no center supports. Was anything done to control this ? Have like designs proven successfull over seasonal changes ?
    Last edited by Eric Apple - Central IN; 04-18-2003 at 1:07 PM.

Partial answer

Eric, Sorry, but no photo. I took a couple of quick shots, loaded and hauled to recipient. So its gone, unless I stop by for a few more shots. As its a 6 hour drive to the table thats not too likely.

As to the corner of the top> I finished the edges and beveled them for the table edge, but from the inclusion to the corner, around 6 inches, I just left the edge as it came from the mill. No straight line, no bevel, no sanding, just put finish over it. After I straight ripped the edges, the rough end sticks out from the finished edge about 1/2 inch at the inclusion and about 7/8 at the corner, so it is kinda wing like.

The top is attached to two spreaders thru slotted screw holes, three at each spreader. The spreaders are MT'd into the legs. Same treatment for the lower shelf, except there the spreaders are MT'd in the spanners. Resullt is, exept from low angle straight on, the top and shelf "float" with no apparent attachment to the rest. Top and sits aount an inch over the legs, and about 2 1/2 beyond the ends of the spreaders. No seasonal problems, but the wood was pretty stable> kiln dried and stored about three years before use.
    Hopefully responsive to your query.

My mistake

By golly Eric, I did have a picture of the end top detail. It was there all along, I just didn't look in the right place. Here's what I was trying to describe in text. Words don't convey as well as pics.

Nice table GED. You keep making stuff like that you'll have to buy a bigger house.
    Jim

Thanks Ged. There is no mistaking that this is a custom piece. The inclusion I might expect to see on a stout rustic style piece. But it really works well with the light color, floating lines, and contemporary style.

If you get a chance, I am wondering how you brought the idea to the attention of your client. I would have a difficult time with the words to propose such a characteristic. Did you show photos of previous work to sell the idea ?

Reverse psych

Eric, well it was backwards of your query. "I'd like a nice piece for my daughter's wedding gift. You know, different. The kind of stuff you see on the back of that wood working magazine." (Fine Woodworking) So I poked through my stash of lumber, found the piece of maple and stared at it until it became a table. Roughed it out, dry assembled, showed and said: "Like this?" Response; "YES!!" So I finished it and delivered. Ya, like a lot of stuff, this isn't how you're supposed to do it and I know, but I do it anyway.