Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SawStop accessories, what do I need to set up a new saw?

SawStop accessories, what do I need to set up a new saw?

edit notes: updates in red based on forum feedback

I'm ordering a 3 HP PCS in a few days and want to make sure I get all the right pieces. This will be my first tool in a new shop (sold all my tools a decade ago before an international move). I'll probably get it from Woodcraft in north Houston.

Here's what I plan to buy, am I missing anything?

• SawStop 3HP PCS, 52" rails (maybe 36", oh decisions decisions), T-Guide fence, 220V
    • Industrial Base
    • Overarm dust collector
    • Extra brake cartridge, standard
    • Zero clearance insert, Standard
    • Zero clearance insert, Dado, optional
    • brake cartridge, Dado, optional

Misc tools:

• Starrett 6", satin chrome, forged head C33H-6-4R, for setup, (or 12" with extra blade)
    • Eye protection
    • Hearing protection, Peltor Ultimate 10
    • Boeing T-9 Rust Protectant spray or Bostick Topcote
    • Sharpen my old Freud 80 tooth thin kerf blade,
    • Freud 10" x 50T x 5/8" Combination Perma-Shield Saw Blade LU84R011 (every 5th tooth is flat)
    • What's a good combo blade nowadays?
    • magnetic featherboard - which one?
    • feeler gauge set
    • 24" straight edge' aluminum, Lee Valley
    • large square to align home-made cross cut sled, Groz(Woodcraft) or plastic hobby shop
    • perfectly flat 2*2 board and 2-3 clamps to level the extension tables
    • wrench and socket set ??
    • upgraded miter gauge, such as the Incra 1000S ($125)
    • dial indicator for blade/table/fence alignment, such as the TS-Aligner Junior for SawStop Table Saw ($187)

A few more questions:

• Is there an upgraded fence from SawStop for this saw? The web site is not clear, they seem to list a t-glide fence as standard, and also have an 'industrial t-guide fence' as an accessory.
    • Will the riving knife work with a thin kerf blade? It seems like the riving knife should be the same thickness as whatever blade is on the saw, but I don't see an option to change knives.
    • Anyone know of a good blade sharpening service in North Houston (Conroe, Montgomery, Huntsville)?
    • Am I going to need any wrenches, other tools to set up the saw? The garage in my retirement home is basically empty.
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 06-07-2011 at 3:31 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

Break cartridge for a dado blade. This saw comes with some of the best direction to put it together. I don't remember if you need any other tools other than what they send.

I have that same saw - you should be please with the fit & finish. You have a good list there....I think the only additions I would make would be a socket set "just in case", a straight edge, and some feeler gauges. I might also recommend you make the move up to full-kerf blades. Like you, I stayed with thin-kerf since that is what I already had, but some good full-kerf blades are on my wish list.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Boeshield on tool beds and tables. I much prefer Bostick Topcote. Also, why are you getting the industrial base? If you do, you will also have to get an adapter for the base to fit the PCS. Honestly, the standard base designed for the PCS works just fine. The ICS is a monstrously heavy beast and really needs the heavy duty base. Hopefully the Houston Woodcraft has some setup so you can see the bases for yourself.

I would also probably not waste money on an extra brake cartridge. Everyone buys one, including me, and then later we come to realize that the local Woodcraft keeps them in stock all the time. Also, since I'm not also buying an extra blade, the cartridge does me no good. The brake should never fire anyhow, so no worries Do you actually have a dado set? You may find yourself not using a dado set at all. I don't really use mine anymore. I'd skip the dado cartridge and insert too until you decide to start using a dado set. These should all be stock items at your SawStop dealer.

You may need some shim stock to get the cast iron wings level, but maybe not. You will need an electrical plug that matches your 220 outlet.

The riving knife will work with thin kerf blades. It is thinner than a thin kerf blade. which is is the important part. The knife will not prevent contact with the back of the blade, however there is so little contact that the blade just sits there and burns the wood if something goes wrong. It effectively prevents the bade from actually grabbing on to anything...I've experienced this first hand with gnarly wood and it works very well. For the riving knife to work properly, it must be thinner than the blade or the wood will bind.

re: upgraded fence
    There are only 3 fences available for the saw. The cheap 30" aluminum one, the 36" T-Glide and the 52" T-Glide. The aluminum one is designed for the contractor saw. It's light and cheap...good combo for someone buying the contractor saw as a true, jobsite saw. That said, I don't think I've ever seen a SawStop anywhere with that fence. Nearly everyone seems to go for the TGlide fence. There is no further upgrade you can do from SawStop, and none is necessary. The TGlide is an excellent fence. Most get the 36" unless they really have a reason for the 52" rails. Considering that a sheet of ply is 48" wide, 52" is overkill for most people. Now, Baltic birch does come 5' x 5' but even so, how many times do you need a piece of plywood that's wider than 36"?

12" combo square is a lot more useful for general woodworking than the 6" IMHO. You can always buy a 6" blade later if you want to.

You don't need a large square for anything...well, I guess it depends how you define "large". I have the set of 4 "engineer" squares from Groz, again available at the local Woodcraft (though that set it no longer available...they have a 3 piece, though, and you can buy the fourth separately if you really want to). It's on sale right now for $38.99. All of mine are dead nuts. I've dropped them and they're STILL dead square. They're cheap enough that if you DO really screw one up, you won't cry for too long, so it's the ideal set for everyday shop use. That said, your combo square is probably the right tool for saw setup IMHO.

Hey Mark, Congrats on the new saw. You will definitely need the dado cartidge if you are going to use a dado blade. You should also check out this for ZCI for the dado blade. It will allow you to change out a piece of wood rather than have to buy several ZCI's from Sawstop. I have see a post somewhere on here where someone took the Sawstop ZCI and basically made this.

http://shop.charlesneilwoodworking.c...ries_c_10.html

You will probably also want a full kerf blade if you want the riving knife to work "out of the box". I use the Forest WoodWorker II blades. But the sawstop titanium blades are good as well as the Tenryu full kerf.

A couple of things to note. The overarm dust collector will only work if you have the blade guard in place. I know most people don't use them (as they should) but it is going to be a waste of money if you are one of the ones that don't like it.

The extension table never really worked well for me. Mine only had one leg and was never stable enough to suit me. You could build your own and put a router in it.

You will need some rust protection. and a couple of setup tools. If you don't want to spend a fortune on a 24" straight edge you could go with the Aluminum one from Lee Valley. You will need a wrench and socket set to attach the wing and fence.

One thing you left off the list that is a must is a couple of friends to help uncrate this thing and get it onto the mobile base.

~Todd

That 80t blade'll burn on rip cuts.

I'd get a 24t ripping blade and a cross cutting blade.

In combo blades, I like the Freud or Avanti combo blades. I prefer the 50t with an ATBR set bkz it cuts flat bottoms which is nice for thin dados and trimming tenons.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bin View Post
    The extension table never really worked well for me. Mine only had one leg and was never stable enough to suit me. You could build your own and put a router in it.

~Todd
    I have the contractors saw-- it was the right choice for a hobbyist like me -- I got the extension table, but eventually replaced the table with a phenolic router top from Woodpeckers. I got one that was a second, so the price was right, and I cut it on the table saw to the correct dimensions. It was actually very good to have the original extension because I used the parts from it when I replaced the top. With the new top the single leg extension is great. The mobile stand lifts the leg off the ground, so the saw rolls around with no problem, but supports the table nicely when the mobile base is not on the wheels.

Mark,
    I have a SS ICS. That said, I agree with everything John said. I do have a dado set up and of course a dado cartridge. Enjoy your new saw!
    Tom

Dial indicator if you don't already have one + jig (commercial or your own) to hold it securely in the miter slot. You could use other methods for checking blade and fence parallelism to miter slot (e.g. large square), but I like that method.

Agree with those recommending another blade. A general purpose 40T or 50T can take care of most of your needs adequately, or you can choose to get dedicated 24T ripper.

The easiest method IMHO of attaching and leveling the cast iron wings will require a somewhat large, perfectly flat board (IIRC I used a 2x2" that was about 2-3' run over the jointer). You basically attach a wing, span the board across the joint, then use clamps to bring the cast wing flush to the saw table.

Riving knife thickness

The ideal riving knife width is narrower than your kerf but wider than the flat plate of the blade. That keeps the wood from closing in on the plate. The carbide can cut it's way out... but the plate?? It throws!! <g>
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I also suggest you download the manual, including the one for the fence, and read through it so you can see how the manufacturer wants you to do things. It will give you a good idea of what's involved.

I'd also add an upgraded miter gauge, such as the Incra 1000SE. And, if you are really picky about calibration, look at the TS-Aligner Jr. with the Sawstop option.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of Boeshield on tool beds and tables. I much prefer Bostick Topcote.
    Thanks John, I'll look into the topcote. I am mostly concerned about rust (Houston). I'll be away from this site for months at a time, although my son will be there, I don't think he will want to wax my tools every month.

Also, why are you getting the industrial base? If you do, you will also have to get an adapter for the base to fit the PCS. Honestly, the standard base designed for the PCS works just fine. The ICS is a monstrously heavy beast and really needs the heavy duty base. Hopefully the Houston Woodcraft has some setup so you can see the bases for yourself.
    My understanding is the standard base has 2 fixed wheels. Is this correct? I was going for the industrial base to get 4 rotating wheels. Just a convenience thing.

I would also probably not waste money on an extra brake cartridge. Everyone buys one, including me, and then later we come to realize that the local Woodcraft keeps them in stock all the time. Also, since I'm not also buying an extra blade, the cartridge does me no good. The brake should never fire anyhow, so no worries Do you actually have a dado set? You may find yourself not using a dado set at all. I don't really use mine anymore. I'd skip the dado cartridge and insert too until you decide to start using a dado set. These should all be stock items at your SawStop dealer.
    I may hold back on the dado setup. Historically I've used a router for dados and rabbets and may continue that way. Regarding the extra brake, Woodcraft is about an hours drive. At 17 mpg and $4 a gallon, it costs me about $20 and 2 hours to drive there, so based on 'almost everyone' having a brake fire for some reason or another, I'm thinking I'll stock my own spare. Plus, every trip to Woodcraft always involves the purchase of something you didn't plan on buying, right ?

re: upgraded fence
    There are only 3 fences available for the saw. The cheap 30" aluminum one, the 36" T-Glide and the 52" T-Glide. The aluminum one is designed for the contractor saw. It's light and cheap...good combo for someone buying the contractor saw as a true, jobsite saw. That said, I don't think I've ever seen a SawStop anywhere with that fence. Nearly everyone seems to go for the TGlide fence. There is no further upgrade you can do from SawStop, and none is necessary. The TGlide is an excellent fence. Most get the 36" unless they really have a reason for the 52" rails. Considering that a sheet of ply is 48" wide, 52" is overkill for most people. Now, Baltic birch does come 5' x 5' but even so, how many times do you need a piece of plywood that's wider than 36"?
    So the 'accessory t-glide' is the same as the t-glide that comes with the PCS? My last saw had 52" Beismeyer rails and it was handy. I frequently used the saw as an assembly table also. Still, space is of a premium so I may consider the 36" version.

12" combo square is a lot more useful for general woodworking than the 6" IMHO. You can always buy a 6" blade later if you want to.

You don't need a large square for anything...well, I guess it depends how you define "large". I have the set of 4 "engineer" squares from Groz, again available at the local Woodcraft (though that set it no longer available...they have a 3 piece, though, and you can buy the fourth separately if you really want to). It's on sale right now for $38.99. All of mine are dead nuts. I've dropped them and they're STILL dead square. They're cheap enough that if you DO really screw one up, you won't cry for too long, so it's the ideal set for everyday shop use. That said, your combo square is probably the right tool for saw setup IMHO.
    The 'large' square was for setting up a crosscut sled and checking cuts on panels. I've heard that the plastic squares from a hobby store may be adequate for this purpose.

Thanks John for the feedback, it is helpful
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bin View Post
    Hey Mark, Congrats on the new saw. You will definitely need the dado cartidge if you are going to use a dado blade. You should also check out this for ZCI for the dado blade. It will allow you to change out a piece of wood rather than have to buy several ZCI's from Sawstop. I have see a post somewhere on here where someone took the Sawstop ZCI and basically made this.

http://shop.charlesneilwoodworking.c...ries_c_10.html

You will probably also want a full kerf blade if you want the riving knife to work "out of the box". I use the Forest WoodWorker II blades. But the sawstop titanium blades are good as well as the Tenryu full kerf.

A couple of things to note. The overarm dust collector will only work if you have the blade guard in place. I know most people don't use them (as they should) but it is going to be a waste of money if you are one of the ones that don't like it.

You will need some rust protection. and a couple of setup tools. If you don't want to spend a fortune on a 24" straight edge you could go with the Aluminum one from Lee Valley. You will need a wrench and socket set to attach the wing and fence.

One thing you left off the list that is a must is a couple of friends to help uncrate this thing and get it onto the mobile base.

~Todd
    Thanks Todd, great advice. Do you know if the Charles Neil insert works with the overhead dust collector blade guard?

I never used the blade guard on my old Delta contractors saw. I'm hoping that the added dust collection will help me remember to use it, safely...

I'll probably eventually hang a router on a shop-made extension table/wing. Does the 36" or 52" not already come with an extension table? I didn't see one as an accessory so I assumed the saw comes with one, albeit a disposable one.

Maybe I'll lug a wrench and socket set on the plane when I 'go home' next week. It's an international flight. I had a great time in security in Bahrain last year when they discovered, at the gate, that my carry on luggage had three 10" saw blades in it and bunch of other strange looking metal devices. I explained that nothing in the rules said I couldn't carry circular saw blades on board. The security guys totally freaked out. It worked out fine, they checked my luggage under the plane for no additional charge.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    That 80t blade'll burn on rip cuts.

I'd get a 24t ripping blade and a cross cutting blade.

In combo blades, I like the Freud or Avanti combo blades. I prefer the 50t with an ATBR set bkz it cuts flat bottoms which is nice for thin dados and trimming tenons.
    Good idea on the ATBR, I also frequently cut dados (even thick ones) using a standard blade if its going to be quicker than setting up the router. I've also been historically lazy about changing blades, which made me think of a combo blade. I cut a lot of wood with the Freud 80T thin kerf...

Maybe a Freud 10" x 50T x 5/8" Combination Perma-Shield Saw Blade LU84R011 (every 5th tooth is flat) or a Forrest Woodworker II 10" 48 Tooth (only ATB)?
    Mark McFarlane