Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band Saw restoration complete

Band Saw restoration complete

As some of you may already know, I picked up a 1958 Delta Rockwell 28-350 20” Band Saw a few months back. I vowed not to go through a full restoration (like I did with my PM90 lathe). Well, I think I fell a little short on that promise. While I didn’t “completely” take it apart, and didn’t sand blast it either, I did pretty much give it a facelift from top to bottom. If you might recall, the band saw had, somewhere along the line, been repainted…and not the correct color. I probably wouldn’t have even repainted it, but the ugly green/grey that it was donning was a little too much for me to bare.

What I did:
    Primed and painted top to bottom two tone…doors and starter are darker
    Replaced the 1.5 hp single phase motor for a 3 hp 3 phase Baldor motor
    Added a TECO FM50 VFD phase converter to give me speed control and electronic braking
    Made a shield/cover for the VFD
    Changed out the original guides for Carter bearing guides
    Cleaned the rust off the table
    Put replacement urethane tires on
    Changed out the bearings on upper and lower shafts
    Replaced the on/off switch with a magnetic starter/switch combo
    Modified the blade guard to attach to the carter upper guide assembly
    Not in pictures, but I’ve got a period lamp en route that will attach to the blade guard
    New throat plate
    Added 2.5” dust collection port by lower wheel
    4” dust collection above the table
    Replaced the bolts and inner nut swively thing in the trunion tracks for tilting the table
    Added 2 Powertwist linkbelts
    And I’m sure a bunch of other little things that I can’t remember…
    Bought two Lenox Diemaster 2 blades
    Fixed a really ugly mess the original owner made of the front of the BS, enlarging the hole…I had to make a face plate with a hole for the motor to stick through

All in all, it has been a fun project. I cut up some turning blanks Saturday and let me tell ya, it cuts like butter! I have to admit, that the dust collection leaves a lot to be desired. I’m going to have to make some mods to it. Part of the problem, I’m sure, is that I was cutting through stock SO quickly that it would have almost been impossible for the DC to keep up. But I have some ideas of what I could do.

A special thanks goes out to everyone that has helped me on this project: From Peter Elliot who helped me get the old motor out; to Steve Cherry who helped me with the dust collection ports (letting me use his plasma cutter and doing some welding to correct a mistake I made…) and also with all the 3 phase and starter wiring; to my brother Marc who helped me change out the spindle bearings; and to everyone who put in their two cents and advice on the subject pertaining to this saw, like on the replacement tires and blade guard fabrication. I couldn’t have done this without all of your help.

Here are some restoration pics. This will take a few posts to get them all in. That one of it on my tractor bucket is the "before" pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Cruz; 06-07-2011 at 7:21 AM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

And here are the pics of the blade guard.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Very nice! That was fast. At least by my standards..............

very sharp, great work!

As they say in Hollywood, she has classic beauty! Love the Carter guides.
    I fooled around with above table dust collection once but never could get it to work very well and gave up on it. I hope you have better success.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks, guys!

Bruce, this over/under system works really well on my 14" Ridgid. Don't know why it isn't better on this saw...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Looks great! I still think that you need to hit walmart for a hot plate to use as a braking resistor, and for fried bolony samiches. You could mount the hotplate on the bottom of the table, and fry on the top.
    Last edited by Stephen Cherry; 06-06-2011 at 8:45 PM.

Mike

Did you try the upper collection hose "without" the grate?

Great job!!

John

My only comment ....

I like (maybe love) ... every single thing about it.

Great score. Great clean-up. Great result !!!

Blog Entries
    Hah! I never knew it was green to start with, I thought you just touched up the color that was already there.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It's really purdy! Enjoy using it!

Great job Mike. Looks better than new!

Again, thanks for the nice comments.

No, John, I haven't tried it without the grate. I have nearly the same set up on my 14" Ridgid band saw (one 4" below and one 4" above) and the above has the grate...it works very well. Since I have a 6" feed, if anything, I don't mind not having the 4" pulling a full draw...hoping that gives each of the 2.5" ports more draw. Not sure if it is. Oh, now that I think of it, I tried closing the 4" port completely and that didn't work any better... The reason for the grate is so it doesn't suck up any cut offs that "shouldn't" go to the DC. I am working on a couple of possible solutions. One being containing the area just under the table with a section of 4" flex pipe so that the dust can't escape before getting to the 2.5" ports. Secondly, the aluminum plate that has a slot for the blade in it that directs the dust to the 2.5" port just under the table has a very big slot. I figure if I fabricate another one with a very thin slot, more dust would be forced to go into the top port...even if there wasn't any suction. The current plate has about 3/4" slot. Making it with a 1/4" slot might do the trick. There was a LOT of dust that was bypassing the upper 2.5" port and getting into the lower wheel cabinet. Too much for the 2.5" port in the lower wheel cabinet to pick up.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Ok, did some dust collection work on it today and I came up with two fixes. One is a little more temporary than the other. The first is that I took a section of 4" flex pipe and made a custom shroud. One of the issues I saw was that there is open space from the underside of the table to the 2.5" dust port under it. This allows dust to fly out all over the place. So the shroud keeps that all contained. The firs pic is of the cuts I needed to make in the 4" pipe to encompass the open area. The next two are of it fitted in.

The second fix has to do with what I had mentioned earlier...the plate that the blade passed through that is supposed to lead dust to the 2.5" port has too large of a slit in it. Dust could bypass the 2.5" port too easily. So, I took some high density foam (the kind that comes in 4x8 sheet that you use for insulation) and cut a wedge out of it. Then, I cut a slit in it with a knife, and pushed it into the blade. I removed the foil right around the blade so it didn't wear on the blade. I don't know that it would make any difference anyway, but didn't want to take a chance ruining a $45 blade.

The next couple of pics show the dust left over after cutting a 6" thick, 9" diameter bowl blank. I didn't possition the upper 4" pipe into a better position (should have), and I am a LOT happier now. BTW, think this out to turn into a nice bowl?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike that saw looks great! I'll agree with the rest, it looks better than a new one.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.