Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Top Height

Table Top Height

Hi,

I've noticed a number of recomendations on this forum for having the height of the tables for work benches and table saws the same so that long boards can leave the table saw and pass onto a work bench or a cross-cutting bench. This should be particularly helpful in a small shop where space for long boards is limited.

So, I'm trying to figure out the best height for my workbench, cross-cutting bench (containing a SCMS and RAS), and table saw (including outfeed table). The RAS is a large old Dewalt (model GR) which will slide into it's own gap between the two halves of the cross-cutting bench. The RAS will have casters on the bottom of the heavy duty Dewalt base. The powermatic 66 tablesaw will be on some kind of mobile base.

Once the optimal height is determined I will build or purchase a mobile base for the Powermatic 66 tablesaw for this height and purchase casters for the RAS to give this same height.

I can use some guidance in determining the height of these table and bench tops above the floor. I realize that the optimal height will probably vary depending on the height of the user. But, I'd appreciate suggestions on what heights you guys think are best for these applications.

My initial thought is about 37" above the floor. Am I off base here?

Thanks.

Bob DeRoeck.

I would not want my tablesaw surface to be any higher than 35". How tall does you TS currently stand? You might temporarily put it on some scrap plywood or OSB and raise it to 37" and see how this height works for you. I don't think that height would be an issue on the SCMS, or the RAS. Personally, I'd go for something in the 34-35" range.

Blog Entries
    This is a personal choice in my opinion. I'm tall and my lower back hurts if I stoop a lot. So I have my table saw and miter saw station at 39 inches. This also allows me to have my jointer next to the table saw without its fence standing above the table saw surface.

Side note, an inch or two makes more difference than you think. I initially had my assembly table at 41 inches and it felt miles too high until I lowered it to 39 inches. Now it feels perfect.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

That is a good notion. I have the same discomfort stooping over for extended periods. Plus, I've been trying to nerve myself to cut my unisaw to add dust collection, if I raise it five inches, i could replace the bottom panel in the base and come through the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    This is a personal choice in my opinion. I'm tall and my lower back hurts if I stoop a lot. So I have my table saw and miter saw station at 39 inches. This also allows me to have my jointer next to the table saw without its fence standing above the table saw surface.

Side note, an inch or two makes more difference than you think. I initially had my assembly table at 41 inches and it felt miles too high until I lowered it to 39 inches. Now it feels perfect.

Yep to what Bob R and Jerome said. Bench height is most closely related to woodworker height. How tall are you, Bob DeRoeck?

As a quick check, stand beside your with your arms at your side and rotate your hands so that your palms are parallel with the floor. Your palms should be at bench height.......Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Deroeck View Post
    Hi,

I've noticed a number of recomendations on this forum for having the height of the tables for work benches and table saws the same so that long boards can leave the table saw and pass onto a work bench or a cross-cutting bench. This should be particularly helpful in a small shop where space for long boards is limited.
    That is precisely the situation I am in. I did it the other way 'round, though - I got the standard mobile base for my Uni with 52" Biese, and adjusted the feet on the primary workbench to match, and built the backbench to match. 34-1/2". At 6'2" tall [I swear that I used to be 6'3" back when I thought I could play roundball] I wish it was more like 37" - 38".

From time to time, I think about raising everything up a few inches. Then, I take another gulp of beer, and think about all the other stuff I could be doing with that time, and move on. After 12+ years, I think I'll just keep going as I am. But - if I were on a different plane in the time-space continuum where mulligans add no time, I would do exactly what you are proposing - figure out "The Height" and then set everything up.

My personal, non-scientific, thinking is that the more you tend toward handplaning, the taller the bench should be. 39" - 40" would be wonderful for me on that task.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Deroeck View Post
    Hi,

So, I'm trying to figure out the best height for my workbench, cross-cutting bench (containing a SCMS and RAS), and table saw (including outfeed table). The RAS is a large old Dewalt (model GR) which will slide into it's own gap between the two halves of the cross-cutting bench. The RAS will have casters on the bottom of the heavy duty Dewalt base. The powermatic 66 tablesaw will be on some kind of mobile base.

Once the optimal height is determined I will build or purchase a mobile base for the Powermatic 66 tablesaw for this height and purchase casters for the RAS to give this same height.

I can use some guidance in determining the height of these table and bench tops above the floor. I realize that the optimal height will probably vary depending on the height of the user. But, I'd appreciate suggestions on what heights you guys think are best for these applications.

My initial thought is about 37" above the floor. Am I off base here?

Thanks.

Bob DeRoeck.

Bob,

I am on the cusp of finally setting up shop again after over three years. New space, new equipment - so I've been giving this a lot of thought and research. This really is one of those personal kinds of things. It's all based on your height and how you work. I'm not a very organized woodworker (yet) so I can't imagine of using my bench as an outfeed table because I know there will almost always be something on it, plus I have the space to have a large bench AND an dedicated outfeed table. Even in my old shop which was smaller, I had built two of the Roll-Around Support Stands in ShopNotes No.40 that I used for outfeed support.

If I were in a space where I was forced to outfeed onto a bench or worktable I would set my saw up first and match that height with the bench OR make sure my bench was lower and build some sort of outfeed appliance that quick-mounted onto the bench. This may be preferable, particularly if you do a lot with Neander tools like hand planes and chisels.

Schwarz has talked and written quite a lot about bench height and discussed it at length in the Workbench Design Book. Basically, for most hand work, especially planing, a lower bench is better because you can use your whole body to plane more efficiently and your arms don't get tired as quickly. He also extrapolates from this premise that the main reason that 18th C. and earlier benches were so short is not so much that the people were that much shorter than us, but that up until the late 19th C. plane bodies were wooden, and thus thicker, so your hands were farther above the work surface, so the bench needed to be lower to compensate. As tall as he is, Schwarz prefers a 33-34" bench height for hand work. People who are primarily power tool users prefer a higher bench. I plan on being somewhat hybrid and I'm not that tall, so I'll probably end up with a shorter bench - 32-33". My table saw is 39" tall and there is no way I would want a 39" bench, even if I was all power tools.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Charles
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    Bob,

If I were in a space where I was forced to outfeed onto a bench or worktable I would set my saw up first and match that height with the bench OR make sure my bench was lower and build some sort of outfeed appliance that quick-mounted onto the bench.
    +1 on this bit of advice from Charles. I too think this would be the easiest path. The rise of the saw surface due to the mobile base is likely not going to be adjustable. The bench height could be.

I'm 5'-7". Measuring the rotated hand gives 31" above the floor. I appreciate your advice, Rod, but I don't think my back could handle a bench that low.

Bob

Thanks, Charles.

I'll check out the Workbench Design Book. Since my workbench will be behind me when feeding the table saw, I can make the workbench lower than the table saw and long boards can be feed over the workbench. So, the key will be having the cross-cut bench, which is on the outfeed side of the table saw, the same height or lower than the table saw.

Based on the feedback from the group it seems the sensible approach is to determine what height I want the table saw, then make the cross-cut bench the same height (or lower). Then, separately, determine the height I want the workbench to be. Since this is likely to be lower than the tablesaw, there should be no interference.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions.

Bob

I tried a couple of different heights and finally found one that is comfortable for me and my back. I am 6'3" and my table saw is 40" and assembly/work table is 38". I searched originally for advice on heights and they were all a little different and not right for me. Everyone is different with various aches and pains as we get older. I think the best advice it to try it out for awhile doing the things that you typically are going to do and see how it feels.

Blog Entries
    btw, a standard kitchen counter top is 36" tall from floor to top of counter surface. If you're very comfortable dicing onions in your kitchen, 36" may be a good starting point for your thought process (in my case, I was always stooping, therefore increased the height).
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

What worked best for me is to make my bench a couple inches taller than I thought I wanted. Then I cut down the legs after using it for a little while. I'm starting to have back issues for a variety of reasons, and I am now a firm believer that bench height is entirely personal and entirely dependent on what operations you do most.

My hand tool work and power tool work usually require different heights. My bench is built low for leverage over hand planes. When I need to work closer to my chest I use a bench-on-bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    .........The rise of the saw surface due to the mobile base is likely not going to be adjustable..
    That's why they invented hardwood scrap piles........blocks under the cabinet + table legs, on top of the mobile base frame, and you're good to go.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.