Thread: Reliant 6 in jointer DD39C

Reliant 6 in jointer DD39C

Hi
    need help on replacing knives on my Reliant 6 in jointer DD39C. No idea how to do it ( not in manual) or where to get replacement knives,

Dave, TIA

For a knife source, you could get them from Amazon. Just do a search for 6" jointer knives. Measure yours to get the right size. There are other probably cheaper sources but Amazon oftentimes offers free shipping over $25. I would recommend getting to amazon via this link: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/amazon.php. This helps keep SMC online and doesn't cost you anything. For setting them, you could download the manual for this 6" grizzly jointer. http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654. Click on the "manual" button. Changing knives is toward the end, starting on page 38. This cutterhead uses jack screws. If your jointer uses springs you might need a knife setting jig of some sort. I've always had jack screws. A low tech knife setting jig for jack screw heads is just a stick maybe 3/4" X 3/4" X 12". Put two marks on it about 1/8" apart maybe 3-4" from one end. Let the stick sit on the outfeed table and overhand cutterhead with the left mark on the outfeed table edge. Move the cutterhead so the knife moves the stick. When the stick moves from the first mark to the second, the knife is set about right. Snug the gib bolt and repeat on the other end then go back to the first end and make sure it hasn't moved. Now snug all the gib bolts. The neat thing about this procedure is that 1) it doesn't require buying anything and 2) you don't have to find top dead center of the cutterhead and hold it there to measure the knife height for each knife.

Don't start to change jointer knives when you have to be somewhere important in 15 minutes. It takes time and the less hurried you feel the less time it'll take. It gets better with practice, like anything else.

The gib screws can strip very easily so make sure you get a wrench that fits snugly, any play and they'll strip. Jet will also sell replace parts like the gig screws if you need them.

I ended up taking the cutterhead out and cutting out all of the stripped gib screws and replacing them. The 6 inch Harbor Freight version is the same machine, just the base is different. When I restored my Reliant Jointer (open base) the Harbor Frieght manual was the closest to the Reliant.

Take you time and set it up and it will work fine.

I took the knives out but no jack screws, just springs. Do I just let them hit the height gauge and tighten the gib screws?

Quote Originally Posted by David Whiting View Post
    I took the knives out but no jack screws, just springs. Do I just let them hit the height gauge and tighten the gib screws?
    If you have the knife setting jig, yup let the knife come firmly against the jig and tighten carefully so the knife/gib don't shift. If you don't have a jig here's the knife setting jig for the Grizzly planer I references above.
    Part # P0654195 Knife Gauge Assy $5.00

$5 plus shipping. Here's another option: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...604T721CF2G6AV This type requires each knife/cutterhead be in exactly the same position relative to Top Dead Center in order to have all the knives the same height. I have no first-hand experience with either one so take my blathering for what it's worth. One piece of advice I do remember is to make sure the knife moves freely in the slot if you're using a jig like the $5 one from Grizzly.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-12-2011 at 8:36 AM.