Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop riving knife too high?

Sawstop riving knife too high?

When I last changed blades, I noticed my riving knife was a hair proud of the top of the blade, which made non-thru cuts impossible. Adjusting it downward was a bear because of the awkward location of the adjustment nuts.

The SS tech advised me that the easiest fix was to simply grind down the top of the knife an mm or two on a bench grinder. That was an easy fix and doesn't adversely affect performance on 'higher' blades, either.

You wouldn't, by any chance, be using a Freud blade, would you?

I noticed by Freud 10" blades are slightly smaller in diameter than the other blades I have.

The ICS is easy to adjust. Which model do you have?

Yup, I was using a Freud Combination blade. However, I was using previously a Freud ripping blade, which was fine.

I have the SS PCS. I thought for sure I was a boob (and still do) for not being able to adjust the riving knife. But the tech told me he had the same issue.

I believe that new specs to qualify for the UL label requires the riving knife to be slightly proud of the path of the blade.
    Howie.........

How does that allow non-thru cuts, then? If it's true, it's obviously a ploy from the right wing Routers-for-Dados lobby.

lol, that was too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    I believe that new specs to qualify for the UL label requires the riving knife to be slightly proud of the path of the blade.
    Figure 40A.2 (Highest point of riving knife) of UL 987 shows the knife below the top of the blade with a 1mm Min. & 5mm Max. dimension.

Some of the basis for the requirement of having a riving knife was that it would not be removed as likely as a spreader would be. If the riving knife extended above the blade that would defeat some of the purpose of it.
    From UL 987:

40A.2.4 A riving knife and its holder shall be so constructed that for all through cutting saw blades
    recommended by the saw manufacturer, the blade diameters and for any cutting depth adjustment with
    the blade set perpendicularly to the table, the riving knife shall comply with the following specifications:
    a) Above the table, the radial distance between the riving knife and the edge of the blade at its
    closest point to the saw blade shall be at least 0.12 inch (3 mm) and at no point shall the gap
    between the saw blade and the riving knife exceed 0.31 inch (8 mm), as illustrated in Figure
    40A.1; and
    b) The highest point of the riving knife shall be at least 0.04 inch (1 mm) but not more than
    0.20 inch (5 mm) below the highest point of the saw blade, as illustrated in Figure 40A.2.

Last edited by Erik France; 06-07-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Mine was higher than my Forrest WWII blade. Grinder and a few seconds took care of it.
    How do you like the saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The SS tech advised me that the easiest fix was to simply grind down the top of the knife an mm or two on a bench grinder.
    That's what I did, too.
    JR

Good info, thanks....
    Howie.........

Just smack the top of it with a hammer and you will be fine! LOL

I have had the same issue with my SS PCS and had not gotten around to doing anything about it. I am very glad to hear the experience of others. I will be doing some measuring, marking and careful grinding.

Prashun, I had a similar issue on my MiniMax slider in that I use my existing 10" blades on the machine which is designed to be able to handle 12" blades. So I picked up a second riving knife and ground down the top in the same way you mention, keeping the original available, both for use with larger blades and because it is a connecting point for the overhead collection hood when making through cuts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Larry-
    You don't have to be too careful. A new knife is only $15...