Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collection main lines and drops. What sizes to use?

Thank you for the picture Leo. Everything that I have read mentioned to go with the appropriately sized ducting right to the machine and to modify the machine (typically enlarge a 4" port to a 6" port) to ensure adequate dust collection. I had not heard that too much suction could actually be worse than what the machine was designed for. I'm a one man show so I'll only be using one machine at a time so at most I'll have 2 gates open for those tools that collect on the bottom as well as the top.

Thanks.
    Tom

I am a one man show myself and I use two to three machines at the same time. Usually the planer/jointer jointer/tablesaw or jointer/tablesaw/edgesander. I have it setup so I can push a board through the jointer spin around and push the part through the TS. Handling the part only once.

You sound very organized Leo. I start and stop my dust collector with each machine. I also look at the plans in between machines and sometimes go get a coffee. Only weekend "work" here and definitely not production.

Tom, you should be fine. Tablesaws shoot sawdust that moves easily compared to chips from jointers and planers. I had a planer that left strings over an inch long as chips. That machine really needed both suction and flow to work. Great planer though. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Willoughby View Post
    You sound very organized Leo. I start and stop my dust collector with each machine. I also look at the plans in between machines and sometimes go get a coffee. Only weekend "work" here and definitely not production.
    This is my job and how I make my living. Turning machines on and off especially if you are going to be using them in the next couple of minutes isn't worth the effort of pushing the switch. My DC states that it shouldn't be turned on more than 8 times in an hour (I think). So when I turn it on I will leave it going for 10 minutes or so before I shut it down.

I am pretty efficient at processing parts and have my systems down pretty good. When I invite other tradesmen into my shop when I am working on their projects I always amaze them at how fast I do things. And it is a perception thing, as fast as I seem to move I think it is too slow and there are too many steps to do things. But they always comment on how quick things get done.

Great pics