Thread: window seat lid support

window seat lid support

Hi guys, I need some help with a lid support for a window seat. It has a solid oak lid approximately 22" X 36" hinged with a piano hinge. the problem is I can't find a dampener to counter weight the lid to prevent finger pinching. I've tried two designs from Rockler but neither have enough resistance to counter the weight of the solid lid. Has anyone out there had similar problem and if so what support do you recommend?

Have you looked into gas springs?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hultzapple View Post
    ......... I've tried two designs from Rockler but neither have enough resistance to counter the weight of the solid lid. ...........
    Use more than one. I have a coffee-table sized toy box -- probably five feet long. I used three of the Rockler (or maybe it was four?) and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by David Thompson 27577 View Post
    Use more than one. I have a coffee-table sized toy box -- probably five feet long. I used three of the Rockler (or maybe it was four?) and it works fine.
    Yup, on projects like that I will typically use at least two supports.
    Howie.........

Thanks guys, I have considered using two but thought there might be a heavy duty version. Also, I had considered the gas shocks but was afraid it would look more like a car trunk lid.

Have you looked at these lid stays? Here is a link. You need to know the weight but using two is certainly acceptable.
    http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=905-669

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Try Lewis and Co. in Houston or Outwater Plastics in NJ.
    The good ones are generally not cheap. Probably about $25 to $30 each.