Thread: gnats/flies HELP!!

Blog Entries

gnats/flies HELP!!

We're under attack in my back yard. There's always a few weeks of gnats in our area each summer, but nothing like what I'm seeing right now. I can't even be in the yard, I have to retreat to the screened in porch because they bombard your face constantly.

The type of fly we're seeing right now looks more like a house fly than a gnat. I picture a gnat to be a barely-there little black bug that lazily crashes into you. These flies are more brown/black, slightly bigger than a gnat, and they fly with purpose into your face. You can feel them hit you like small hail pellets.

Hypothesis I've formed so far:
    - We just had about 1/3 of an acre totally excavated and graded, so there's fresh grass sprouting, and still spotty areas where it's just dirt, where grass hasn't grown yet. We've been watering that area daily. Perhaps the flies are breeding in the watered area (i.e. maybe it's time to stop watering?)

- during that major excavation, I had many wheel barrows full of stones/roots etc. that I dumped into our "compost pit" in the back corner of the property. There old rotting wood, grass clippings, last year's halloween pumpkin, stuff like that back there. But, really, that pit has always been sort of like that for years now. I sprayed the heck out of the pile just in case that's where the nest is.

- The next door neighbor's entire house/yard is being re-done so it looks like a new construction site. Do flies like dirt lots?

- There is no standing water or moist spots (other than where we're watering the grass), and no other changes to our land.

What could be the cause, and what do you suggest for remedy?

HELP! (and THANKS!)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    ....What could be the cause, and what do you suggest for remedy?....
    Move out west?

Sounds like black flies if I remember correctly from my Upstate NY days. Most likely related to all the rain the northeast has had over the past six months.

Try absorbine jr. It is a Midwest staple in fly/gnat season.

Try a headnet (?). I use one when backpacking through particulary buggy areas. Also, saw a product @ Boundary Waters (piragis.com) for deerflies that sticks to the top of hat - kinds looks like one of those sticky bug traps of old, but is non-toxic & odorless. YMMV

Put down a fresh coat of varnish on a table top. They will immediately fly to it and get stuck. Scuff sand. Repeat.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed a horse fly on occsion. I don't know if its a horse fly or not but there big. My neighbor has been doing a little rebuilding on an old shed of his and two days ago I heard some choice words comming my way and went over to investigate. This is no lie. Every time he turned on his power saw it was immidiate attacked by these flys. There must have been a hundred or more. I have nere seen or heard of such a thing before.

The gnats are up here this year also. I always find them more around tilled earth, like my garden and shelterbelt areas. This has been a very wet spring around here so I think wet springs and tilled earth must have something to do with the high populations. The worst gnats I've ever experienced was in the ND Red River Valley after the flood of '97. Lots of field debris and wet ground throughout the spring. Couldn't even breath with out eating them.
    The Plane Anarchist

I hear buffalo gnats are bad in MS again this year. I still have scars from their bites from last year!

Blog Entries
    I caught one of the little buggers last night. We think they're noseeums (no-see-ums). I found products online that will take care of the issue, but the wife won't let me use them because the kids play in the yard. In my mind, a little toxic spray is better than not being able to use the yard, but I can also remember playing in the yard as a kid as the gypsy moth spray planes flew overhead, and laughing at the fine mist falling on us. Actually, that probably explains a lot about how my mind works today.....
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I did a quick bit of research (gotta love google) and I found a story from Mississippi about buffalo gnats (aka black flies). The article suggests that the problem is due to water temperatures. I think the cooler, wetter spring is the real culprit. So, I guess there might be a bit of silver lining to the hot weather we've been having.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I did a quick bit of research (gotta love google) and I found a story from Mississippi about buffalo gnats (aka black flies). The article suggests that the problem is due to water temperatures. I think the cooler, wetter spring is the real culprit. So, I guess there might be a bit of silver lining to the hot weather we've been having.

My old stomping ground lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Guerin View Post
    In the last couple of weeks I have noticed a horse fly on occsion. I don't know if its a horse fly or not but there big. My neighbor has been doing a little rebuilding on an old shed of his and two days ago I heard some choice words comming my way and went over to investigate. This is no lie. Every time he turned on his power saw it was immidiate attacked by these flys. There must have been a hundred or more. I have nere seen or heard of such a thing before.
    a story ran in the paper a couple of years ago about a apartment room in the big city being over-run with horse flies, the city can keep its flies, skin-so - soft by AVON will keep the flies away from your skin