Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'M WILLING TO TRY (almost) ANYTHING

Red face I'M WILLING TO TRY (almost) ANYTHING

This Utube video SANDER seriously intrigued me. So today, I’m picking up a treadmill to convert into a belt sander.
    I’m getting it from a lady who bought it 3 years ago and then moved to a home “off grid”.
    The utube video mentions a granite slab for a platen. I wonder if wood (or something else) would work. Any ideas out there?
    Stay tuned.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Could be interesting.I wonder how long it would take to sand the leading end of the wood thinner than the trailing end,though(with respect to the direction the belt is meeting the wood.) No way to insure the wood stays parallel. You couldn't do thin wood on it either. It would sand the middle of thin wood quicker than the edges (if you were holding the thin wood down in the middle of it.) Not the best explanation from me,but something to think about.

Hmm... This could be awesome. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Thanks George!
    Of course, you are right. Nix the wood. I guess I'll start looking for a granite or marble slab.
    Gene
    GH

you may also consider fiddling with the belt drive, normal belt/drum sanders run 2500-3500 fpm. A treadmill runs at maybe 880-1056 fpm (10-12mph). Considering the used market for some wide drum/belt sanders, I couldn't imagine spending the time and money on a project like this, but it's your perogative.

Very clever.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hellmer View Post
    you may also consider fiddling with the belt drive, normal belt/drum sanders run 2500-3500 fpm. A treadmill runs at maybe 880-1056 fpm (10-12mph). Considering the used market for some wide drum/belt sanders, I couldn't imagine spending the time and money on a project like this, but it's your perogative.
    Ha ha, Ryan. You are so right. But I have the time, the space and the access to most of materials for cheap. The treadmill is only $50. I doubt I'll have more than a couple hundred in it....if that. And, I love a challenge.
    Gene
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hellmer View Post
    Now, now. One should never dissuade a fellow creeker from doing something that would be entertaining to the rest of us.

will you explain how you can adjust the tread mill for the sanding belt ?

You might be on to something if you can figure out how we can get our exercise while woodworking. Put SWMBO on the treadmill while you do your sanding.

Blog Entries
    Ought to be interesting when his sander goes back on CL as a 40 mph treadmill after the gear change. Or better yet, when the guy steps on it for the first time, not knowing of the gear change.

I built a 29" drum sander (with power feed) from scratch. It's documented here. I tried using granite for the table. Had a 1.25" thick piece of granite
    custom cut for me and brought it home just to realize it's not as flat as I thought (about 0.006" or more deep). I built my table instead out of a maple frame with
    laminated MDF as top.

WOW! What are you planning to sand with this?
    Have you ever tried to hold a 6 inch wide piece of wood onto a 6 inch belt, give that a try than think about what a wider piece would be like. You wont be able to hold the wood on with out hurting yourself, especially your fingers.

It also doesn't go fast enough.

This is half of a sander, the power feeder's are their for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    will you explain how you can adjust the tread mill for the sanding belt ?
    Ray, It has tensioning springs on it to align the tread mill belt.
    Gene
    GH

Well, I got it. It's DC, has tensioning springs and an alignment lever.
    Still in the back of the truck but I measured the roller width at 16 1/2" and the belt is probably 48". The whole unit is 60" long. I gotta get the head off to get an accurate measurement.
    The plate it's running on is that phenolic covered 3/4 ply. If it's still flat, I may use it. It's pretty new looking, so I'm hopeful.
    Added bonus: I can check the wood's pulse rate and blood pressure.
    Speed dial reads up to 15 MPH. I doubt that, but my sister has one like this one and she says her speed is 12 MPH. That's a little over 1000 RPM.
    Gene
    GH