Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun with the sponge

Fun with the sponge

Well, here's something I've been wanting to try for a time. They are compressed cellulose sponges. In their compressed form this particular sponge is about .07 inches in thickness. After adding water, it is 5/8 inches thick. Frank Corker suggested I do these in relief, which worked out WAY better than engraving them. Thanks Frank!

The sponges vary in size from 3/8, 5/8 and 1" fully expanded. The 3/8 inch compressed is .03 inches. There is a small wow factor in seeing it expand. And then it's over.

Now to think up some REALLY interesting methods to use these. Suggestions are welcome........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

I've seen the sponges that Greg has done, I really think that there is a lot of potential here. Just the Sheraton says it all, imagine hotels and motels giving these things out to guests, novelty factor alone it's brilliant! I think you did a great job there Greg and by the looks of the pictures, you have your settings just perfect.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Pretty cool stuff Greg! So where do you source your materials?
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

That's really wow and fun

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bednar View Post
    There is a small wow factor in seeing it expand. And then it's over.
    Does that mean that isn't visible anymore when you wet the sponge ?

They could be usefull for a lot of clientel, every company that's envolved in cleaning, cosmetics - if you drill only those two down, there is a huge potential

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

I would cut and engrave sponges for kiddies bathtimes and try sell to the big retailers. Kids will love to see their sponge grow into a duck , a ship , a truck , a fairy or whatever.
    Would also be perhaps a great freebie give away for cosmetic and body lotion mnfgrs/sellers ,

Buy a bottle of "elizabethgardengrosslyoverpricedcream" for$50 and get a free sponge (with out logo on of course , we really give nothing for free..we wanna put our product in your face- literally - and with a sponge we can reach EVERY orifice on your body )
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rodne, you crack me up. Hilarious.

But still Greg, those look brilliant. Massive contracts to be had on those. I would start with the Sheraton! I see those coming to a hotel near me soon! How long does each one take?
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Hello all and thank you.

Bruce - PM sent re: source.

Andrea - It's the WOW factor that disappears fast, not the engraving. It remains.

Rodne - Exellent idea. I especeially like the "elizabethgardengrosslyoverpricedcream" And the "EVERY orifice on your body"
    brings to mind some X rated designs for the fast crowd.

Jit - Yes, the Sheraton would be nice. Right now I'm experimenting with resolution and seem
    to have arrived at 200 DPI for this particular 1 inch sponge. I also do two passes to get
    about a 3/8 inch depth . About 30 seconds for one done in relief with a 3inch X 4inch dimension
    and one pass.

There is a brownish cast to the engraving which looks like a regular business card in its compressed form, but the cast comes off and the sponge expands and voila! Wow factor with a definite 3D effect ( without the glasses. )
    Last edited by Greg Bednar; 06-09-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

After I looked a second time at the pic I realized that it is a picture of the expanded sponge

You could also cut in shapes, i.e. a car and cover all the car washs or even shampoo producers, or cats and dogs for pet shops possibilities are endless ...

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    I've seen the sponges that Greg has done, I really think that there is a lot of potential here. Just the Sheraton says it all
    Agree whole-heartedly...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

For all those interested. I just met with a very helpful individual at Industrial Commercial Supply. That is the source for compressed sponges. All products are American made in Akron, Ohio and PVC FREE. The person you want to talk to for an order is Larry Rowlands. He is able to cut the sponges to the laser bed size you require. And he is the one to contact for the quotes. ICS is only about 20 miles from me. I live in Canton, OH and the business is in Akron, OH, so no problem with the trip. I feel the prices are great, green ( for the eco-conscience people ) and hold lots of potential as is evidenced by the folks here. So follow this link http://www.icsponge.com/ - please don't anyone spank me for the hot link, if it is not proper, please edit.

And thanks to all thus far for the input. Tell Larry I sent you :-)
    Last edited by Greg Bednar; 06-09-2011 at 2:10 PM.

Greg, those are so cool - I'm definitely going to get some! I have some nephews who love the ones I buy for them, expanding dinosaurs and the like... now I can make some really personalized ones. Kids absolutely love these, plus I agree the market is hot for custom soaps and spa items. These fit right in that niche.

Thanks, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bednar View Post
    Frank Corker suggested I do these in relief, which worked out WAY better than engraving them
    What does that mean?? I guess I'm unclear as to what you mean by "relief". Either way, that looks great! Nice work!

Boy, Larry Rowlands already got back to me - great service so far! I'm getting an assortment and will see what they act like. Thanks again, Greg!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Bas, mezzo or high relief is where the letters etc stand out of a sunken background , intaglio is where the letters etc are carved in.
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 06-09-2011 at 4:38 PM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Hi Frank and Dee,

Nestor - Rodne has the "relief" definition covered. Thanks Rodne. That's what I did with the logo and lettering so the logo and lettering would stand up from the surface instead of being engraved into the surface.

Dee - I'm glad all is working so far with Larry Rowlands. He was very helpful with me today and it looks as though he was helpful for you too. He sent me some samples 8 x 10 inch of the 3/8 5/8 and 1 inch compressed sponge and it was with these that I have been doing runs with different resolutions, speed, power, frequency. The 3/8 inch is the easiest to vector, but the 1 inch really pops after you do two passes at 200 DPI. The original post was with the 5/8.

Oh yes, one suggestion - make sure if you use the air assist, that the air is dry. If it condenses and then drops onto the sponge, it WILL expand in those places. So only use the air assist when vectoring, and be careful to use an inline dryer.
    Last edited by Greg Bednar; 06-09-2011 at 6:07 PM.