Thread: Finishing Room Lighting

Finishing Room Lighting

I'm starting to think about lighting for my 16x9x8 finishing room. The finishing area will really be toward one end, and I'm thinking of going with 3 of the 8' strip fluorescent fixtures that use 4 4' T8 bulbs. Thinking two would go toward the end where I'm actually finishing, with one toward the end where I'll have a counter and drying racks. Will this be enough?

2. When I think about lighting for a finishing room/area, I think in terms of huge overkill. Because the finish of a piece is what will be seen for the next hundred years or so, getting it perfect can be a very good thing.

And ya can't get it perfect if ya can't see it perfect. And seeing it perfect can't happen if the light is less than perfect.

I suspect that your ceiling lighting plan is probably a good one. But think hard -- won't you need some low-angle lighting? Maybe something that is wall mounted? Perhaps a couple of lights that are moveable?

With this kind of lighting, you can be certain that there is no orange peel, no scale, no 'frost', no blooming............

And the next thing I'll tell you is that you aren't getting younger, and that when you get older, you're gonna need more light.