Thread: Help with tree IDing

Help with tree IDing

I've got three dead trees on my property and every identification site I look at focuses more on the leaf structure. I was hoping someone here could help me with identifying these based mostly on the bark. My best guess was oak and maple. I'm also looking for advice on what to do with them; cut them down and burn them?; hope someone will take them away for free?; cut them into boards and maybe use some day? I have zero experience in this area and so I don't know which route is going to be a waste of time or money.
    Thanks for your help.
    two.jpgone.jpgthree.jpg

Blog Entries
    Turners would likely take all of it if given the chance...

First one looks like Sugar Maple.
    Second one could be White Oak.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

You didn't mention when the trees died, or whether they had ever produced nuts.

The first looks like black walnut.
    The second looks like shagbark hickory.

Iowa City and the surrounding areas are covered with walnut and hickory.

The first one looks like Hackberry and the second like Hickory. I've recently had a lot of experience with hackberry.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

5. I'll take a guess -- the first one looks like the bark of a white oak. The segmenting and twisting of the second looks like maple.

(And my guess is probably worth every penny that you paid for it!)

First one is a shagbark hickory, second one is cherry, can't really tell about the last picture so I won't try. For what it's worth I'm not guessing on the first two.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I'm going to say that the first one is a silver maple or sugar maple (I don't think it's shaggy enough to be shagbark hickory). Any of them would do fine in the fireplace. :-)
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 06-10-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Dustin,
    I'm going with a couple of maples and an oak. How long ago was the yard graded? I'm not seeing much trunk flare and am curious if that might have been the cause of the trees demise.

My vote is some type of oak for #1, some type of maple on #2.

If these are indeed what I think, there's not a lot of economy in having a mill make these into boards.

If you have some turning friends, you could let them have at some of the nicer or larger parts.

All of them appear to have twist or lean in them, making them poor choices for milling into lumber unless the wood is something special like walnut or cherry, or there is sentimental value in them to you. If none of that is the case, I'd cut them up into woodstove length, give the nice ones to anyone who turns bowls, burn the rest in my woodstove, or set it out by the road and let the scavengers take them away. BTW, one of them looked like cherry to me, and another like hickory.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    I'm going to say that the first one is a silver maple or sugar maple (I don't think it's shaggy enough to be shagbark hickory). Any of them would do fine in the fireplace. :-)
    Like us they get shaggier with age I have a bunch of both of these on my property. Cherry and hickory are often found near each other in my area.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.