Thread: Smallest Blade For A Grizzly 17" Bandsaw

Smallest Blade For A Grizzly 17" Bandsaw

Thought I'd ask the owners of 17" Grizzly bandsaws (the "513" family of saws) what the smallest size blade they've used, trouble-free, on their saws. Griz says 1/8", but I wonder what people's experiences have been in the real world.

Suggestions for particular blades gladly accepted.

At South Texas we ran a 513 with a 1/4 mostly, for arch cutting. Occasionally tighter curves were required, so on went the 1/8" blade, and the fun started. Now we weren't using the highest quality blades, we ordered bulk from Fastenal. But to answer, honestly, I'd have to say 1/4".
    Mick

I run 3/16" on my 19" without much trouble. 1/8" is a royal pain. I'm currently trying to concoct some way to use cool blocks instead of bearings.

How about one of these? Expensive for what there's to them but they do work. They don't show a model specifically for the G0513 but it might be worth a call.
    http://www.carterproducts.com/produc....asp?cat_id=14

Blog Entries
    I run 1/4" without issue. An 1/8" could get tricky only in that you would have to be very precise with your guide setups. Other than that extra caution, I would see no problem. I would be tempted to just get a used smaller saw for smaller blades which is what I did; a 1970's 10" Delta which has ser ved me well despite being very "hobby shop" in design.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Someone posted a while back about using the harder hard woods, starting with oak, as block guides for the smaller blades (not limited to any size saw in particular). This way you can butt them tight, let the kerf cut back it's own relief and the rest will rub on the back of the blade. No worries with setting the guide bearings using this method.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    .....using.....hard woods......as block guides for the smaller blades (not limited to any size saw in particular)......
    Thought about this, but the only problem with that is my saw has the guide bearings, and I don't see how I could use blocks in my guides.

Sounds like 3/16 is as good as it gets on the small end, and 1/4 makes more sense. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Thought about this, but the only problem with that is my saw has the guide bearings, and I don't see how I could use blocks in my guides.

Sounds like 3/16 is as good as it gets on the small end, and 1/4 makes more sense. Thanks everyone.
    Funny you should mention this. I haven't done it yet, but I worked out a simple way to so it. The holes that the bearings sit in are just under .5" (I'm sure it's some metric size). My plan was to sand down a 1/2" dowel until it fit and trim them a little proud of the bearing mount. Then I will drill the same size hole in a block of wood and glue the dowel into the hole. Then I'll drill a hole through the block to hold a round cool block. Finally, I'll insert a small threaded insert on the face of the block to accept a thumb screw to lock the cool block. I think the whole project will take me about 10 minutes from beginning to end.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Funny you should mention this. I haven't done it yet, but I worked out a simple way to do it.....
    Very interesting. Thanks for the idea, John. My saw is "on the sea" according to the Grizzly e-mail. I was going to order a few blades in preparation, but I'll wait on the small end until I can look at the guides and apply your idea.

I have the GO513 and I've run 1/8" blades on it frequently when making bandsaw boxes. It does take precise setting of the guides and cool blocks or similar would work better I think.

Also, I recently replaced the Euro-type guides with ball bearing guides. I haven't run a 1/8" blade with those yet.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln