Thread: New Workbench Project From Recycled Materials

New Workbench Project From Recycled Materials

This is my first post to the forum. I wanted to share my new workbench. It has 1 1/2" top, two Harbor Freight 9" workworking vices and was done wtih salvaged materials form three sources. I used a couple of different plans to get what I wanted. Wheels were essential as shop space, as al\ways is limited. I am rebuilding my table saw lay out and wanted to make sure I had a movable workbench to serve as an outfeed table. Let me know what you think.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

that looks pretty good. Do you think the casters will sacrifice some of the rigidity of your bench? If so would a dedicated mobile base do the trick? Just a thought. Really looks good though. What are your materials?

That bench puts mine to shame. . .

Looks good... In my experience, Casters are nice for mobility, but do sacrifice a little on stability. the mobile tools I have had generally get chocked with rubber wedges to help with that a little. (old tire sidewalls work great for that if you can avoid the steel belting)
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Beautiful workbench. I would be interested in your take on the stability also. I built a rollabout station for a Dewalt 735 Planer earlier this week. It is 30" tall and I was concerned about whether it would want to turn over or not (the top is only 24x18). The planer weighs 92# and makes it very stable.
    Hopefully the weight of the tabletop will make yours stable also.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Nice work, Joe, and welcome! My bench is similar, but with a slightly thinner and larger top.

Darn good looking. Nice job
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Very nice results but I would be concerned about movement/stability as you use it with the wheels...
    Jerry