Thread: Craftsmen 100 Table Saw Hand crank removal question

Craftsmen 100 Table Saw Hand crank removal question

I have a Craftsmen 100 Table Saw 10" on which I am doing a refurb. I am going to have the base and painted parts powder coated. It was my dad's saw from the 60's works great just needs a little loving care to retore it to its former glory.

My problem is simple, but I can't find a way to remove the hand crank that controls the blade angle. When I removed the the front handle set screw, the handle pulled right off. The other one just sits their and spins free. I tried lubication, gently (and not so gently!) tapping with a mallet. Used two clamps to form a puller of sorts to pull the crank from the shaft to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have atted a couple of pics to show what I am up against.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look in the hole where the set screw is and make sure there isn't 2 of them. Sometimes there is one on top of the other.

Also, get the parts description at OWWM.com and get the parts breakdown so you can see if theres anything else holding it on.

Joe, I am not sure if this is the correct answer to your problem....but here goes anyway.
    Look at the shank portion of that handle, it probably has a small diameter roll pin inserted thru the handle that will have to be tapped out, using a small straight punch and a hammer. That is a very common way of attaching a crank handle to machinery, especially when it needs to be
    kept in place and not falling off on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffner View Post
    Joe, I am not sure if this is the correct answer to your problem....but here goes anyway.
    Look at the shank portion of that handle, it probably has a small diameter roll pin inserted thru the handle that will have to be tapped out, using a small straight punch and a hammer. That is a very common way of attaching a crank handle to machinery, especially when it needs to be
    kept in place and not falling off on a regular basis.
    Jim, thanks for the response. No roller pin, just a set screw as I see it. The wheel moves freely on the shaft without the set screw, Just can't seem to pull it off. DId not have any problems with the front one, it came right off.

Thanks Don, I will look again, but I believe it is all shaft. I will check the website to see if there is anything else going on. I suspect that when my dad had the saw, he tightened the set screw at a place where there was no flat spot on the shaft and created a dimple that may be holding the crank from sliding off. It spins free, just won't slide off.

Don, thanks again. I did get it off. I took out the set screw, tapped the wheel in and replaced the set screw by a small bolt. I just tightened it enought to make sure the bolt touched the shaft and then worked it back and forth, took it out put in a little WD40 to clean it out and kept doing it until there was no friction. I repeated the process about 20 minutes, turning, tightening and flushing. When the bolt moved cleanly around, I tapped the wheel gently with a rubber mallet, it gave way and came off. I inspected the shaft and it was I suspected, the set screw had dug into a spot around the shaft and raised an slight edge as it was not screwed down to the flat.
    Joe

Jim, thanks again. I did get it off. I took out the set screw, tapped the wheel in and replaced the set screw by a small bolt. I just tightened it enought to make sure the bolt touched the shaft and then worked it back and forth, took it out put in a little WD40 to clean it out and kept doing it until there was no friction. I repeated the process about 20 minutes, turning, tightening and flushing. When the bolt moved cleanly around, I tapped the wheel gently with a rubber mallet, it gave way and came off. I inspected the shaft and it was I suspected, the set screw had dug into a spot around the shaft and raised an slight edge as it was not screwed down to the flat.
    Joe