Thread: Motorized Drill Press Table

Motorized Drill Press Table

Many moons ago, a fellow Creeker, Brad Townsend, posted pics and information about how he added a motor to his drill press to raise and lower the table. I didn't do anything then except think it was a good idea.
    Lately, I got to thinking it was a really good idea and I wrote Brad for information. Brad sent me pics and info on where to get the motor he used. I got the same motor, made up a bracket out of maple and cobbled together my version of Brad's idea.
    It really makes life easy, not having to lean over the table to turn the crank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Great idea but in the second picture it looks like the motor and your bracket are not perpendicular to the post. This would affect the table and the chuck as well. Or is it optical illusion?

I appears to me that the motor only turns the shaft connected to the original crank that moves the table up and down. In which case it doesn't have any bearing on the table itself.

Andrew: It's just my bad photography. As Fred said, though, the motor is simply turning the same shaft that that crank did. The motor is connected to the casing that holds the gears that the crank used. The table itself is not connected to the motor at all. This was, I can still tilt the table.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I think I had a good idea at the time. This is better. My solution was to attach the motor to the table. As Grant implied, it did not allow the table to tilt without disconnecting the motor. Now I have to back and redo mine.