Thread: Another use for a coring system.

Another use for a coring system.

Here is a picture of what one can do with a coring system in place of making sets of bowls. I really do not like to sand so making nested sets is not my favorite thing to do. Unless it is a nice burl I tend to just core out the largest blank I can out of the middle of a nice blank. I then make a nice HF from the cored out section and a nice open bowl from it as well. Less sanding and I tend to be able to sell the HF's for a lot more than the bowls I core out of the blank.
    Jack
    Here is a HF sitting in the bowl I cored it out of.

Here is the roughed out HF that was cored out of the bowl.

Intresting, so you did that with that with the same piece of wood? How big was this particular piece?

Shootin and Scootin
    SK

Nifty idea. Matching HF and bowl....I think that's unique!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Unique and interesting idea. Looks good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I dont have a coreing system yet, but someday when I do get one I will remember this trick, very cool! Thanks for shareing this idea with us!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Jack says he doesn't like sanding.... but then he goes and sands the insides of his hollow forms!

Do you ever sell the matching hollow form and bowl together?

Consider this idea "borrowed"

thanks and great pieces!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Nice way to save the center... At first I thought you had partially cored the HF then turned the entire thing as one piece.

Nice idea - great looking set! Good luck with your sales!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I m missing something here, so this (HF?) came from the same piece of stock right? Whats the trick? Is it making 2 different things out of one?

Jack
    I have a coring system and I really like your idea and I'm probably going to use it,Thought I'd let you know in advance. Great idea, keep thinking.

Thanks everyone. It is a HF turned from the core I got from the bowl. I've done it 5 or 6 times now. You waist a little wood by the time you get the HF shaped to suit you, but it has worked out well so far. You are limited to the shape of the form, but using a McNaughton one should be able to get taller forms. I'm going to have to brake down and learn how to use one of them some day. Next time I do one I will do a step by step photo of it to share. I posted this thread to share the ideal, I'm quit sure that there are others that have been doing the same thing way before I ever thought of it.
    Turn Safe,
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Mincey; 06-12-2011 at 9:04 PM.

Looks good Jack. I know what you mean about the sanding. I thought initially I would do this with most of the wood I cored. Haven't done it as much as planned because I have found it tough to trade a 12 inch bowl or larger, for a low HF half that size. Then again I haven't started to sand out a lot of them.

thanks for sharing the concept