Thread: Epoxy Help Please

Epoxy Help Please

I want to do an a piece that will take a considerable amount of epoxy. I have used System Three in the past and it is a great product......it is also quite expensive. I know there are other manufacturers out there who make/sell epoxy that is much more reasonable in $$$$.
    What epoxy do you use and where do you get it? Thanks for helping. Dick
    I turn, therefore I am

I use Loctite heavy duty. I get it at Home depot and I think I paid $13 for my last set. I did find out that the fiberglass resin I've been using works really good as an adhesive but I don't know what yer up to. Probably no good. The resin was $30 a gallon.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I have build two boats and used Marinepoxy Epoxy. It does the same job as System 3, but is a little cheaper. The Marinepoxy 3 Quart Epoxy Kit (Resin and Hardner) sells for only $51.00 at Boat Builders Central.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    I use Loctite heavy duty. I get it at Home depot and I think I paid $13 for my last set. I did find out that the fiberglass resin I've been using works really good as an adhesive but I don't know what yer up to. Probably no good. The resin was $30 a gallon.
    Ditto Loctite HD. If someone does have a source for a good cheaper epoxy I would also be interested.

"The best things in life are not things."

Last month we had Marilyn Campbell demo at Maine Moodturners and she uses West System Epoxy. She uses epoxy in most of her turnings.
    she uses resin 105, hardener 205 , microlight 410 filler and "artist's oil paints" for color.
    She stated that not all epoxy are good for turning.

I met Beth Ireland last month and she has used West System epoxy.

She did caution us to use gloves and a respirator when using epoxy. Beth developed a severe sensitivity to epoxy because of her exposures.

Check into Zpoxy on Amazon,$12.79 for 12 oz. Stephen hatcher uses this.The nice thing, it thins and cleans up with DA [alcohol].

I use Locite 2 part epoxy.

I get mine from woodenwonderstx.com... Great source for CA glue and epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Libby View Post
    Last month we had Marilyn Campbell demo at Maine Moodturners and she uses West System Epoxy. She uses epoxy in most of her turnings.
    she uses resin 105, hardener 205 , microlight 410 filler and "artist's oil paints" for color.
    She stated that not all epoxy are good for turning.
    Brian, I say Marilyn's demo yesterday and the process she uses to inject stiffened colored epoxy is exactly what I was looking for on a turning I have been thinking about.
    I turn, therefore I am