Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This weekend's turnings

This weekend's turnings

Our "Turner's challenge" for the next meeting is eggs. I came home and watched a few Youtube videos and they all used skews so I thought it would be good practice to try to do it using a skew too.

This was my first attempt. It looked good and felt good while the lathe was spinning but when it stopped....
    Egg-2.jpg

Dang, I thought I had turned that out. Now mind you, the egg is now only about 1.5" tall and started out at least double that. The skew is not my friend. But I persevered.

This is my second attempt. Same blank stock as the last one but after many catches the egg was only about 1" long. But it was very nearly done I just wanted to refine the pointy end a touch and smooth out the finish. So I sharpened up my skew to "shaving sharp" and....

Egg-1.jpg

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Ok, put the skew back into its bucket of shame and grab my 3/8" spindle gouge. My first successful egg! Made out of "found wood" and only 1-3/8" tall by 1" wide. Finished with one coat of BLO and then rubbed with beeswax. (I wasn't going to bother finishing it but my wife insisted.)

Egg1.jpg

But, I have proven I can make an egg with the spindle gouge so let's try something a bit bigger with a bit better wood. This one is made out of a chunk of a branch of hairy oak that a friend gave me. It is 2.5" tall and 1.75" wide. Finished with two coats of frictioned-in polyurethane followed by one coat of Renaissance Wax.
    Egg2-1.jpg

Egg2-2.jpg

My third egg

Having proven yesterday that I can make eggs (even if I do have to finish the shaping with the 80-grit gouge) I decided to try a bit better wood. I had a block of old, very very dry spalted mango. I successfully turned the egg but it was fairly "blah". But, knowing my wife, I decided to go ahead and finish it anyway.

Since it was very dry and very powdery I hit it with a heavy dousing of thin CA. "OH WOW!!!" It is no longer boring wood. I hit it with several more coats of thin and medium CA, sanded it smooth and hit it with a couple of coats of Deft rattle-can gloss lacquer. It is 2.5" tall and 1.75" wide.
    Egg3-1.jpg Egg3-3.jpg Egg3-2.jpg

Again, I apologize for the cell-phone picts.

that is some awsome looking wood!
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

That Mango egg is absolutely gorgeous.....Jerry (in Tucson)

That mango egg is phenomenal, and the hairy oak is a looker, too!

Just curious, is that palm in the second photo? If so, you're crazy for trying to turn your second egg with a skew using that nasty stuff!

BTW, nothing wrong with that 80 grit gouge... One of my favorite tools!

Practice makes perfect eventually. At least its supposed to!(except with skews) The mango is stunning!

Nice work Greg! Really like the Oak version because of the grain! The spalted Mango is amazing - lots of color! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Just curious, is that palm in the second photo? If so, you're crazy for trying to turn your second egg with a skew using that nasty stuff!
    No, not palm. Remember that top part is only an inch tall: that is red oak. I'm not sure I would ever try an egg out of palm. Yikes!

That spalted mango is mesmerizing..................
    oh.... good job on the eggs....fwiw, the skew is not my friend either, but I can get nice cuts with the sorby spindlemaster.
    mj

Some very eggciting turnings!! The Mango is a beauty.

Those last two are spectacular, especially the mango. That is seriously some incredible looking stuff. +1 on mesmerizing!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Greg, neat progression of pics! As noted, the mango and hairy oak eggs are great. While the mango is striking, I am with Steve on the oak - it is my favorite as the grain adds to the egg shape. The mango is distracting from the form - beautiful, but one does not notice the form, which is very nice, BTW.

Every time I have a session with my skew, it ends up being a "skating party" and I rarely pick one up. It has its place, but not often!

Great looking eggs. I like them all but the mango sure catches my eye. Love my skews, all 7 of them. Keep practicing and they will come.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Nice work Greg! Really like the Oak version because of the grain! The spalted Mango is amazing - lots of color! Thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Greg, neat progression of pics! As noted, the mango and hairy oak eggs are great. While the mango is striking, I am with Steve on the oak - it is my favorite as the grain adds to the egg shape. The mango is distracting from the form - beautiful, but one does not notice the form, which is very nice, BTW.
    After reading these comments I spent more time looking at the eggs side by side and I definitely see what you mean about the Oak egg showing the shape better. I think the other part of it is the finish; to me the Mango is so shiny that the shine hides what is underneath (both the wood and the shape). But that is what my spouse requested so...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Great looking eggs. I like them all but the mango sure catches my eye. Love my skews, all 7 of them. Keep practicing and they will come.
    I wish you were closer, I'd love to come spend a weekend/week/month with you and come home a master of the skew. Or even an apprentice with the skew. Right now the only thing my skews are useful for is for throwing across the garage.