Thread: Drill Press Question

Drill Press Question

Hi everyone!

After about five years of being downsized, working extra hours, etc., etc., and moving 200 miles, I haven't been in the shop (well it is in the garage now) much for about that length of time. I am working on a project and see that my drill press table is rusty. What is the best course of action here?

BTW, I have all the basic stuff, but my dad is giving me his planer and lathe and some other equipment, so I am kind of excited to get going again. My sanders and a few other tools got stolen (I left the back door to the garage open while I was gone one day) so I am kind of lucky to have some of these "new old" tools.

Larry
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Klaaren View Post
    Hi everyone!

After about five years of being downsized, working extra hours, etc., etc., and moving 200 miles, I haven't been in the shop (well it is in the garage now) much for about that length of time. I am working on a project and see that my drill press table is rusty. What is the best course of action here?

BTW, I have all the basic stuff, but my dad is giving me his planer and lathe and some other equipment, so I am kind of excited to get going again. My sanders and a few other tools got stolen (I left the back door to the garage open while I was gone one day) so I am kind of lucky to have some of these "new old" tools.

Larry
    Well Larry, I would start with a rust remover (sold at any Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc.). Apply per instructions and then brush with a wire brush, preferably brass. You can get a wire brush at the same stores as listed above. Once that is complete assess where you are at. Using a fine wet or dry sandpaper, work in one direction with the paper mounted on a good flat block. Once the table looks good dry it thoroughly and then apply a coat of paste wax and buff it out. I use Minwax furniture wax for this purpose and keep a coat on my jointer and table saw as well.
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 06-14-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

One question. (I am good with some things and stupid about some) What do you mean by "wet sandpaper"? Is that as simple as wetting a piece of regular paperbacked sandpaper, or is it a specialized type of sandpaper? Thanks.

Larry
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Klaaren View Post
    Thanks Gordon,

One question. (I am good with some things and stupid about some) What do you mean by "wet sandpaper"? Is that as simple as wetting a piece of regular paperbacked sandpaper, or is it a specialized type of sandpaper? Thanks.

Larry
    Wet or dry sandpaper can be obtained at most auto supply stores. It has a special backing that stands up to being used wet. The grits on wet or dry sandpaper (at least the ones I have) range from 400 to 2000). I would use the 400 to 600 grit to start and then 1200 grit to finish it off. It will put a nice polished look on your table.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

You can also use WD40 with Scotch Brite pads. The red and gray are the coarsist and green semi-course. Spray some WD40 and scrub.

The rust is probably surface rust so you won't be killing yourself. It should come off in a jiffy.

I've used both methods decribed by Gordon and Don... both will work. I would probably go the Scotch Brite pad with WD-40 method then follow up with wet-dry using WD 40 again as the lubricant.. Good luck..!!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks guys. I will get on it tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I really appreciate your help.

Larry

You can also use a single edge razor blade with WD40 or some other light oil followed with scotchbrite. Finish with a coat of paste wax to prevent more rust.