Thread: New shop addition

New shop addition

At 11am yesterday UPS freight dropped this in my garage (a little blurry, sorry):

At 3pm I was running boards through this:

My body is not happy with me today for setting this up solo but I just couldn't help myself. I should have taken pics of the contraptions I set up to get the bed onto the base.

Although it makes things even tighter in a 1-car garage, but Im kicking myself for working so long with a 6" Ridgid jointer.

And at 3:30 PM you landed your first plane on it?

Nice addition! Congrats and here's to a speedy recovery from your speedy setup!

Congratulations, that is a fine looking piece of machinery.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Super ! Gloat worthy for sure !

So just how smooth is that spiral head cutter compared to the Ridged 6?

Any photo's of test cuts?

Congrats !

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    Super ! Gloat worthy for sure !

So just how smooth is that spiral head cutter compared to the Ridged 6?

Any photo's of test cuts?

Congrats !
    The spiral is definitely less noisy and so far its considerably smoother and easier to use than the 6". the larger beds and overall bulk and stability of the Griz attribute to that im sure. even moving the machine around my small shop is nicer than moving the Ridgid on an aftermarket base. Ill run a few pieces through this evening and post some pics.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Sweet! I wish I had the room for one like it!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Solo assembly? Don't the instructions recommend a forklift to assemble that? That is a big beast to pick up and align by yourself. BTW from someone who just assembled one, the cutter head retaining bolt and the 2 little set screws that hold the pulley on the motor shaft need some lock-tite on them. I learned that one the hard way after I started smelling my belt burning.

Thanks for the heads up Ben! Ill check that bolt and set screws!

Yup solo. =) The instructions called for two people to lift into place. I didnt have a helper in the middle of the day so strapped the bed to a 2x6 and strapped a hi-strength cable to it. it was laying upside down on very thick padding and basically stood it upright and leveraged it onto a prop and slid it into place. Not something I would ever do again, nor should I have done it in the first place but it turned out well.

Uh, excuse me, but I believe UPS made a mistake, that is supposed to be in MY shop... Oh well. I can try right?

That is a really nice machine, congrats!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

THAT'S IT!!! I'm filing a complaint with UPS!!! This is the 3rd time they've delivered my new machine to the wrong address.

Great score Ken!! Wish I had one (that one).

That certainly is one heck of a nice jointer. Dove tailed ways as well and priced reasonable. Can't beat it !!!! A review after you have had it for awhile would be great.

Ah. I was thinking about what made it that much better than the Ridgid. Spiral head, huh ? And that WOULD do it.

Is there a way to sort of speculate about "If I had put the spiral head cutter ON my Ridgid ....."

It's just shy of lunacy to put a $400 cutterhead on a $400 jointer, but ... I've often toyed with the idea. I've had ZERO complaints about my JP0610.

Congrats. Very nice machine ! Love the high-mounted on/off switch, too. It's the little things

David, will do on the review.

Neil, the jp0610 always just seemed underpowered and the thin sheet metal base/legs always bothered me although they were definitely adequate as it served it's purpose for three years. I do have to say that milling the boards for my bench top was a major pain that the 72" bed on this one would have helped with.

It's always the little things.

Nice tool, looks like fun! Funny what a big jump up it is from the 6" to the 8" weight class, no? Having used a bunch of jointers from 4" up to 20", it seem to me that the 8" size is really the first weight class that gives an industrial performance. Perhaps its the shear weight involved? Lots of vibration absorbing iron to, well, absorb vibration and give smooth passes. And a spiral head too! You have moved from just getting it done to doing it with ease. Enjoy that!

Ken,

Nice addition, between you and I we're keeping New Penn trucking in Md !!!!!

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson