Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a decent place for large cheap syringes for moving finish?

Anyone have a decent place for large cheap syringes for moving finish?

A lot of times I only want to remove a little bit of finish from a can, and trying to pour it out is always a mess so I like to use larger syringes to pick up the material and then deposit it in to a smaller container. I've been trying to find a place to get a dozen or so syringes pretty cheaply. I was curious if anyone here has done something similar? Most of the places I've found the price is higher than what I wanted given that I want these more or less disposable.

-Stephen

Instead of a syringe would something like a turkey baster work? Bet you can get those at Dollar Tree. Might want to call them for a price check.

Didn't think of that, that's a good idea. I do like the syringes because they clean themselves to some extent, but I'll have to stop by the dollar store and see if they have any basters.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Check with your local farm/feed store, they usually have them. A vet that works with farm animals might be another source. McFeelys has them also.

FWIW, using them with a petroleum base product is a one shot deal, the rubber will swell up.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    Check with your local farm/feed store, they usually have them. A vet that works with farm animals might be another source. McFeelys has them also.

FWIW, using them with a petroleum base product is a one shot deal, the rubber will swell up.

Ed
    I can confirm that......based on 34 years of professional experience.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You may want to check with an online place that sells pet supplies. I have a cat that gets a shot everyday and the price we found for syringes online was very good. Try KV Vet supply.

I buy them at the farm supply in several different sizes.

I like the syringe idea but up to this point I have had good success with a soup ladle. Still makes *some* mess but nothing like pouring. The ladle is also very easy to clean and you can bend the handle to meet your needs.

Given that the one I use is stainless I also don't have to worry about contamination (assuming I clean it that is).
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    I like the syringe idea but up to this point I have had good success with a soup ladle. Still makes *some* mess but nothing like pouring. The ladle is also very easy to clean and you can bend the handle to meet your needs.

Given that the one I use is stainless I also don't have to worry about contamination (assuming I clean it that is).
    I usually use disposable cups; small 2 or 4oz up to 16oz party cups. I think I like your idea better.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post

I used to do that too mixing up epoxy primer. One ladle of Part A to one ladle of Part B. I find it fascinating that I'm not the only one that did that

Resort to science

Home Science Tools on the web or any science 'hobby' shop will have what is referred to pipets or pipettes. They are basically small disposable turkey basters and come in varying sizes. Another option is differing diameter straight glass tubes, also available from these science shops as well as elsewhere. Stick them in the liquid, plug the top with your finger, and away you go !
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Blog Entries
    +! on turkey baster and ladle or ladle-like measuring spoons from the dollar store. I have been using the same set of plastic measuring spoons for years, Just clean off immediately after use and they come clean quite easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Do you have cats or know somebody who does? Meow Mix market select wet cat food comes in little gold cups about 2" or 2 1/2" in diameter. They work great for dipping finish out of a quart can and at least in this house they can be used & tossed. Another help is to punch holes in the "valley" of the rim with a sharp nail. Anything in the valley will drain back into the can and the can will still seal properly.

You can get 50cc syringes at farm supply stores at least in Pennsylvania. N.J. prohibits syringe sales. If the junkies can't buy new syringes they'll stop using. At least that seems to be the logic . The problem with injection syringes is the fluid opening is pretty small.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-16-2011 at 7:42 AM.

I needed a couple small syringes, I learned NOT to go to the drug store and ask a pharmacist for a couple. I left the drug store feeling like a crack addict. I explained to her "I needed them to inject some super glue to repair a spot of veneer" she did not buy my story.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Ladel user here too. I found a nice smooth metal one with no nooks and crannies to trap finish. Metal means I can clean it with lacquer thinner.