Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to buy a Grizzly slider. Not available until 7/29

1. Hi Mark

1.) Poly V belts last longer, slip less, has a wider contact area, have no joint that might cause vibration ..... it's a better belt system.
    2.) Yes you can only use the 10" blade with the scorer but when I need the 12" I have the option available to me on the Hammer.
    3.) Simply put you have blades available in the US for both machines. The pins are for your own protection and for extra safety due to the heavy breaking feature of the electronic breaking on the Hammer blade.
    4.) The European dado sets are something to be experienced.
    5.) I do not know enough about shipping but everything has a reason.

I guess I am on a different page then. I would rather deal factory direct with a company producing their own machines, it's worth the extra money to me. I have also owned many machines over the years and for me the question has never really been about how long they run, in this league they all run for many, many years. It has been the fit and finish, the details make the difference. A European manufactured machine is simply produced to a better tolerance, has more options and accessories allowing you to grow with the machine.

JP

I was in Springfield just yesterday and stopped in to look at the Grizzly tools. I happened to look over the slider that you are interested in. It's not a bad little saw. The sliding table was very smooth and tight throughout the range of motion. It looks fully adjustable and serviceable if ever needed. I'd say the weakest part was the rail/rip fence system, but for hobby use, probably just fine. Perhaps it could be retrofitted with something heavier duty in the future if it really bothered you. It's hardly fair to compare it to a saw that costs $2000 more.

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul Cummings View Post
    Hi Mark

1.) Poly V belts last longer, slip less, has a wider contact area, have no joint that might cause vibration ..... it's a better belt system.
    2.) Yes you can only use the 10" blade with the scorer but when I need the 12" I have the option available to me on the Hammer.
    3.) Simply put you have blades available in the US for both machines. The pins are for your own protection and for extra safety due to the heavy breaking feature of the electronic breaking on the Hammer blade.
    4.) The European dado sets are something to be experienced.
    5.) I do not know enough about shipping but everything has a reason.

I guess I am on a different page then. I would rather deal factory direct with a company producing their own machines, it's worth the extra money to me. I have also owned many machines over the years and for me the question has never really been about how long they run, in this league they all run for many, many years. It has been the fit and finish, the details make the difference. A European manufactured machine is simply produced to a better tolerance, has more options and accessories allowing you to grow with the machine.

JP
    JP
    If they are built to such better tolerances, then why was a shipment full of Hammer bandsaws shipped over here, that they couldn't even ship to their customers?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the local Hammer guys, told me they wouldn't ship the defective machines to any of their customers. But having to catch defective machines here doesn't sound ideal to me. I'm still expecting my machine. Just hope those famous better tolerances reach me!
    Jonathan
    Jonathan

I have also looked at and admired the slider saws at the Springfield Grizzly and thought they were smooth and solid. I can't speak with knowledge of the Hammer but I can speak of European machines and their support. Specifically two different Austrian manufacture machines. the experience has been similar on both. All machines regardless of who makes them or what they cost have occasional issues. Interestingly it was stated that even an old Hammer would be supported because the drawings will be pulled and the parts made. That is the same experience I have had on new machines. If they don't have the part in stock then be prepared for a long wait. I am talking of machines in the $1-$4 million range each. Most of these machines work well when they work. But we have been forced to improvise many times while we waited weeks or even months for repair parts. This can happen with any machine that has it's roots overseas whether it's for woodworking or otherwise. There are few things you can buy these days that are 100% American made with no parts from outside the borders. The ones that call the USA home though in my experience typically do a better job with being there for us. Not always perfect but consistently better. Just my two cents worth. Enjoy your Grizzly slider when it arrives. I noticed someone else was waiting two months for a Hammer. I expect they will have their estimated date of shipment bumped back as well.

Just got word that my G0623X has left the building. The Missouri warehouse building that is. 3-5 days until it gets here.

Blog Entries
    Tick . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tock . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tick . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Got the tracking info. The truck is scheduled to arrive in Raleigh/Durham on Monday the 18th.

Longest four days of your life

Congrats !!

Pics and review, on arrival/setup/use, huh ?

I'm about 95% of the way toward pulling the trigger on my first cabinet saw. The process is giving me gray hair. If I wind up with that kind of backorder time, that gray hair should fall right out

Yes, I am getting anxious. I have been working without a table saw for a month.

Going to try to document the process from delivery through the first cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post
    Yes, I am getting anxious. I have been working without a table saw for a month.

Going to try to document the process from delivery through the first cuts.
    Looking forward to a writeup Mark, its gonna be a long weekend for you.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Mark, congrats on the new machine purchase, it would be interesting to read your experiences with the new machine.

Did you order any options or accessories for it?

Regards, Rod.

Not so long to wait; most of the Euro Sliders have even longer lead times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Mark, congrats on the new machine purchase, it would be interesting to read your experiences with the new machine.

Did you order any options or accessories for it?

Regards, Rod.
    Thanks.

No accessories ordered yet. As a matter of fact, I will probably have a few accessories left from my cabinet saw that will no longer be needed. An Incra miter gauge, Delta tenoning jig, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Canaris View Post
    Not so long to wait; most of the Euro Sliders have even longer lead times.
    Oh yeah. Some of the Euro sliders won't be available until October or November.

Although I did see an Altendorf F45 for sale on Northern NJ CL for $3,000. Such a deal.

Got the call from UPS. Delivery is scheduled for Tuesday the 19th between 2 & 5 pm.