Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4' x 7' Pantry Project

4' x 7' Pantry Project

A co worker talked me into building him a large pantry this winter during layoff. He wants it built in 2 pieces to make it easier to get into the double wide home. I found a pic of the general style, 4 doors and 2 drawers, he wants it all raised panel, soft close hardware. So far I made up a rough sketch, used a cabinet door calculator and ran the rail and stile parts through the shaper. I now have the panels glued up and ready for raising on the shaper with the new Grizzly 5 wing cove panel raiser that arrived yesterday.
    IMG_7065.JPGIMG_7071.jpgBlack-Kitchen-Pantry-Cabinets-Ideas.jpgPantry will be wider and taller, red oak stained a medium brown. He gave me a door to take to the paint store and try get a stain close to a cabinet he has.

today I got a few shop hrs in. Enough to trim the panels to size and run them through the shaper in 3 passes. Dry fit one panel for a look

IMG_7090.JPG

IMG_7087.JPG

Angry cut too much off!

Mistake #1, cut 3/16" too much off the panel size , so I have to add a wee bit too each side on 3 panels. During assembly, one panel was showing a slight gap. One of the problems that crop up because I'm using space balls. With less wood in the groove, an undersize panel or blow outs are easily seen.

IMG_7091.JPG

one panel left to glue up. Heres the upper doors, going to be big for a pantry!

IMG_7093.JPG

Working on the base cabinet, it's upside down and I'm doing the glue up of the drawer face frame. Temporarily using the base cabinet as a jig to position the face frame parts. Floor, back wall of the base is 5/8 melamine. Once the face frame for the drawers has all it's part made, then I can glue up the base.

IMG_7094.JPG

I'm using a combination of dado's, biscuits, pocket screws, screws to hold the lwr case together. Having a small shop, I can only do one piece at a time.

IMG_7096.JPGIMG_7097.JPG

base is done, made up a 4" oak toe kick and fastened it on. Upper glued up and the uppers floor.

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7104.JPG

mock up

IMG_7106.JPG

Thats going to be really nice. Good work.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

I have 18" soft close full extension drawer slides . No mounting holes at the back of the slide ???, it's full of the soft close mechanism. So I glued on a 5/16" thick strip on the stiles of the raised panel. Now I wish I had chosen undermount slides.
    I made version #2 of the floor for the upper cab. I tried for a 3/4" reveal on 3 sides of the upper cab when the doors are on.

IMG_7109.JPG

IMG_7110.JPG

Blog Entries
    Looks great Bryan - thoughtful design; solid wood , F&P doors will look and feel right(IMHO) for lots of kitchen- pantry uses. I look forward to seeing more pics!
    Cheers, Mike

make up 2 drawer boxes and it's done.
    IMG_7109.JPGdrawer supports
    IMG_7110.JPGbottom of upper cabinet, 1/8" groove to sit over lower cabinet
    IMG_7111.JPGshelves in
    IMG_7116.JPGdoors on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]hobby woodworking since 1972

Yesterday I got the new to me PC Omni dovetail jig out and the single pass blind template, but couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, the bit wasn't going in far enough. So today I thought I would set up the variable finger template to do single pass. It seemed to be the same spacing as the single pass. Not wanting this thing to beat me, I put the single pass template back in, followed all the directions and within 4 test cuts and some adjustment to the stops and router bit, had it working.
    And I only got two drawers to make! Got them glued up for tonight.
    IMG_7117.jpg

I finally got the drawers done. Been at it since 10 am. I had to remake one drawer, it was too snug. I cut a 1/16 off the side of the snug drawer. Still tight so cut a 1/16 off the other side. Then it fit OK, so I made a new one to that size.

IMG_7128-001.JPG

I got started on sand / stain yesterday. Lots of masking when using melamine. Paper rolls from HD speed up the masking.

IMG_7155.JPGIMG_7154.JPGIMG_7153.JPG